Reduced Flow Rate When Running Through Solar Panels

coopgraphic

Nov 28, 2019
Northern Ohio
Hi, I just invested in a Pentair solar controller and while it is being shipped, I changed the plumbing from my pump to get ready to install it. When I did a manual test run, my flow rate dropped dramatically. Before, the flow into the pool was almost as strong as a hot tub jet. I couldn't even adjust the direction of the eyeball if the pump was running. Now, when its running through my solar panels (4 - 2' x 20' panels) its still pushing out water but at about a quarter of what it used to be. Is this okay? I'm concerned about damaging the pump. I've attached a diagram that shows how I plumbed everything.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Attachments

• poolPlumbingDiagram.jpg
    poolPlumbingDiagram.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 10
I've attached a diagram that shows how I have my solar panels plumbed. The panels are 4' off the ground on the high side and about 1' off the ground on the low side. The intake for the solar panels is at the same level as the intake to the pool. I no longer run two pumps. I had that on my old setup and it didn't work that well. I'll change that in my signature. (I kept wondering how JamesW knew that I once had 2 pumps. LOL) Oddly enough, today I turned it back on and my filter pressure was at about 18 psi, and the flow was much better...probably coming out at half if not 2/3 of what it is without the panels being on. Maybe some air was stuck in the panels?

Attachments

• poolPlumbingDiagramWSolar.jpg
    poolPlumbingDiagramWSolar.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 11
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.