Recurring Cloudiness - Drain or ???

CB799

Jun 18, 2015
El Paso
Hello all, appreciate any help that you can offer!

Last year I replaced our DE filter with a Cartridge filter and have struggled with Cloudy water ever since. Last summer it was manageable with Floc and a lot of vacuum to waste.

Starting up this year and Cloudiness is again the main issue. Here are my #'s

32,000 gallon in ground plaster with SWG
FC .78
TC 11.56
pH 7.5
TA 110
CH 360
CYA 5
Phosphates 59
Salt 3973

So I know I will have to drain a good amount to get the salt # down, but I have been told that I should drain the entire thing and start new.
That you should drain your pool every 3 years, is this a valid recommendation?

I assume the cloudiness comes from the high total chlorine #, would SLAMing fix this?

Again any help is much appreciated, thanks!

CB

Welcome to the forum!
I would assume those test results are not from your own proper test kit, as the TC you show with a FC of less than 1 makes no sense. In fact, it is impossible.
You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Hey CB !!!

Perfect example here of the 2 ways a pool store test goes south. It’s either done with no care in the world by a recent hire with no clue. Or it’s done in a way to skew the results on purpose to give you a problem. Either way costs you to fix, and if you are chasing a problem that wasn’t even there in the first place, now you have 2 or 3 problems. Which of course will also cost you.

The box stores have a place. Keep them for when you know what you need/want and decide for yourself it’s worth it to pay a little more to get that part today, or not wait a few days for calcium from Amazon.

That you should drain your pool every 3 years, is this a valid recommendation?
No. You drain the pool for a reason. Normally either high CYA or CH. Until you have your own test kit, we do not know if you have either.

Also, your salt level, if the test is accurate, is not that high. Most SWCG's will operate just fine at that level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.