Recovery from flood

Rsmith1

Silver Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Bixby, OK
I had just about gotten my pool ready for the summer, just completing a SLAM to get everything under control, when we had flooding rains last night. The pool is now brown due to dirt, grass, and other debris from the yard that was washed into it. In the past I have used flocculant in these situations, but now that I have discovered TFP and know that TFP in general does not like flocing a pool, I want to ask advice on the best way to proceed. Is this a situation that calls for flocculant (used correctly, not into the filter) or should I continue SLAMing with lots of vacuuming to waste off the bottom?

Hi, welcome to TFP! If you are able to vacuum to waste then you could use flocc to bind up the dirt and get it out. If you use flocc, do 1 treatment as directed. After you have vacuumed to waste, refill the pool and leave the pump off overnight again and follow with another vacuum to waste. After that begin the slam process and brush the pool daily. Any remaining dirt should filter out.

I had just about gotten my pool ready for the summer, just completing a SLAM to get everything under control, when we had flooding rains last night. The pool is now brown due to dirt, grass, and other debris from the yard that was washed into it.

Welcome to TFP. Seems a few folks from your area have arrived here today with the same problem.

In the past I have used flocculant in these situations, but now that I have discovered TFP and know that TFP in general does not like flocing a pool, I want to ask advice on the best way to proceed. Is this a situation that calls for flocculant (used correctly, not into the filter)

How have you used flocculant "correctly" before?

or should I continue SLAMing with lots of vacuuming to waste off the bottom?

That is what we recommend. Along with lots of patience as the sand filter slowly clears the water.

Thanks for the quick replies Zea and Allen. A friend told me about TFP last year after the pool store had finally annoyed me enough, and I have been using the advice from here successfully since then. It has been quite a few years since the pool has flooded this dramatically, but I recall putting the specified amount of flocculant in the pool, circulating (not filtering!) for an hour or two, then turning off the pump for a day or so to let things settle out overnight, then vacuuming to waste. In less dramatic flooding situations since the last bad flood I have basically done what TFP calls SLAMing, before I had learned that term and the exact technique.

Even processes/chemicals we have people avoid for good reason do have their time and place. It's all about understanding effects and possible consequences. It sounds like you have good grasp of the situation.

Yesterday a user forgot to recirculate during the first step. Instant sand/goo mess in filter.

Reactions: borjis
@Rsmith1 We didn't get nearly as much rain as you (about 4" at our place) but it was in the period of a couple of hours and I saw the mess it made of the pool when we got back from our tornado shelter @ 4:30 AM. Anyway, around 9 this morning, I started up the filter, got out as much of the larger debris that I could see and threw the robot in. I have only had to clean the robot once and there wasn't too much in the way of larger debris in it. I started SLAM immediately and am brushing the side/bottom hourly. Here is the improvement JUST TODAY. So, I would stay far, FAR away from the Floc since it can really gum up your filter. Since it is most likely just dirt, my SLAM might be overkill, but better safe than sorry. 102402

Reactions: borjis
Many folks have only a BACKWASH setting on their sand filter and no RECIRCULATE or WASTE settings. If you can RECIRCULATE or drain to WASTE you have more options.

We have more rain (not sure how much) forecast for tomorrow evening, so my best move is probably to use the filter and robot today (the sun is out now) and see where I stand when we have a few clear days and a holiday weekend ahead. However, I cannot even see the first step through the water at this point, so I am not sure if filter + robot will do the trick any time soon. If I don't seem to be making much progress I may very carefully try the flocculant since I do have all the different options, including recirculate and waste, on my valve. I just installed the new sand filter myself since the old one (the fiberglass body) started leaking after 22 years of Oklahoma heat/cold, so I have no intention of gumming it up by running floculant through it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Or maybe the rest of your yard is in better shape than ours :). At least your pool seems well on the way to recovery. Hope you don't get too much rain out of this next system. I grew up in OKC and my parents still live there....

Or maybe the rest of your yard is in better shape than ours :). At least your pool seems well on the way to recovery. Hope you don't get too much rain out of this next system. I grew up in OKC and my parents still live there....
Thanks. We are having a housewarming/pool party on Saturday so *really* hoping we can get it recovered by then. Thankfully for us, we lucked out in that the previous owner worked in the landscape business and did a great job making the yard look great. Now, I just have to make sure and not kill it! I did notice this AM that all the area drains were plugged with debris, so that is probably what happened...no place for the water to go but in the pool and with it raining so fast and hard, there was no way the overflow could keep up.

Good luck with yours, I will be watching for updates!

How did this turn out? I essentially have the same issue. I have been filtering, vacuuming, dolphining, etc. and I don't seem to be making any progress. Getting pretty tempted to try the floc if it doesn't seem to be an issue as long as you do it correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.