Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
On most OTO chlorine tests, the equivalent bromine is marked on the opposite side of the chlorine. Do you have a bromine pool?

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Bromine is not affected by CYA, so the Chlorine / CYA chart does not apply. The normal day to day bromine level should be 3 to 5. Shock level is around 10.

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
We don't recommend the use of bromine, except in a spa. We don't normally list information on how to use products that we don't recommend. The spa directions are different than the pool directions, so they don't apply.

benavidescj

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2010
Fleming Island, FL
Sorry Jason, I was originally going to put it in spa but since it is chemistry and some people do put bromine in their pool I thought this would be the better place. Little did I know that bromine is no good in the pool.

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Its not that it is "no good", it is just that chlorine is enough better that there isn't really any point in thinking about bromine for a pool. Bromine is more sensitive to sunlight than chlorine is when using CYA, so you end up spending more money, and many people object to the "chemical" smell. Bromine is more stable at the high temperatures in a spa, so bromine is better in a spa, but in a pool chlorine is the clear winner.