Recommendations or reviews on pool cleaners, hydraulic vs. electric...

Hello all,
I am in the process of replacing all of my pool controls. Presently I have dual manual timers, one for filter & chlorinator and one for Polaris 360 pressure side pool cleaner, chlorine tabs for algae / germ control and fiber optic lights that I have never seen work. I am in the design phase of the project but want to buy hardware soon. I am replacing with Pentair EasyTouch 8SC w/ Electrolytic chlorine generation (aka salt), Microbrite LED's, Del ECLIPSE 2 ozone generator and possibly a variable speed pump.
The more I look at robotic / electric cleaners the more I like the idea but I have no personal experience with them. For what its worth the experience I have with the pressure side cleaners is other than impressive... I am currently looking at Pentair 820 or 830 but again I have no first hand knowledge with either. Looking at Pentair simply because thats the brand I settled on for the controls.
Does anybody have some battle proven type of pros & cons that might help with the decision?

Thanks,
Daniel

16,000 gal. Inground, The Woodlands, TX

Maytronics/Dolphin cleaners. Several review threads on TFP, just search for it. My signature has a link to my S300i thread.

Pump driven cleaners are the old, rotary-dial telephones of the pool cleaner world. Robots are the future and worth their cost.

Del ECLIPSE 2 ozone generator and possibly a variable speed pump.

Daniel,

You do not want Ozone or UV or any other magic systems that pretend to do something that they don't.. The salt cell is all you will need... I have three saltwater pools and if I built another 100 pools they would all be saltwater pools.

You do without a doubt want a VS pump... Since you are getting the EasyTouch, you will need to get the 3 HP IntelliFlo.. It is the pump that my pools have and costs me less than $20 bucks a month to run , 24/7... When I got my first IntelliFlo, I actually had to touch it to make sure it was running.. It is that quiet.

I wholeheartedly second Matt's Dolphin robot suggestion...

Good luck with your upgrade..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Good afternoon... Can you install the 300i multilayer filters into a s200 or s300?

Thanks. Rick

Yes. If you get the S200 or S300 it comes with the filter basket frame that has coarse screen inserts. So if you want to get a filter basket like the S300i, then you have to buy the fine filter snap in screens and the coarse screen insert. You can check prices at Marina’s but I believe that it will cost an extra $100 to do that. The robot caddy also costs about $100 to buy it separately unless you can find it cheap on eBay.

The S200/300 also has fewer cleaning features available on the smartphone app. For some, that doesn’t matter but others may want all the features.

Reactions: Rissa8898
Thanks for the input guys it is a big help. I just received my Maytronics Dolphin S300i and put it in the pool yesterday. It seemed to work pretty well for about 5 minutes and stopped. It is giving an error code "Technical Issue Servo overload" It gives the option to reset the robot and that has worked a coupe times but again, after about five minutes it gives the same code. I have done about as thorough of an inspection as possible without disassembly and see nothing in the intake, impeller or drive system that might cause this. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the input guys it is a big help. I just received my Maytronics Dolphin S300i and put it in the pool yesterday. It seemed to work pretty well for about 5 minutes and stopped. It is giving an error code "Technical Issue Servo overload" It gives the option to reset the robot and that has worked a coupe times but again, after about five minutes it gives the same code. I have done about as thorough of an inspection as possible without disassembly and see nothing in the intake, impeller or drive system that might cause this. Any thoughts?

What temperature is your pool? I am told by my local pool supply store there was am issue with a batch of Dolphins that would trigger some failsafe sensors in water 80deg +.

The Maytronics Rep was in their shop just yesterday patching all of their units that were known to have that problem..

Maybe you have one of these units? Can you bring it to a local dealer and have them look at it under warranty?

For Maytronics products that is why we recommend using Marina. They do phone orders only so you get the full Maytronics warranty.

My thermometer is MIA (i have kids and dogs...) but I don't think the water is that warm. As for warranty, see attached image. I had no idea about this until i got the box from UPS. Not very impressed so far.....

I heard this was the case which is unfortunate as it seems they sell a lot of these units online.

If this is the case it should be something that is noted on sellers page on amazon or eBay. I would contact Maytronics first and of they don't honor the warranty I would contact the seller through Amazon and even amazon directly to point out this is not something the seller is telling people.

Open a dispute if you have to.

Maytronics makes Dolphin units that are online sale only like the Triton. I wonder if this has the same non warranty printing on the box?

Marina Pool, Spa & Patio is a brick and mortor retail so if you buy from them you have the warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.