Recommendations Optimal setting for pentair superflo VS pump

cmc8

Feb 6, 2017
Burlington, Canada
Hi all,
Was wondering what you would recommend speed and time setting me given my following state:

20000 gallon pool
Water source heat pump for water heating
Local hydro stagger rates. Lowest 7pm-7am, highest 11am - 7pm, middle 7am - 11am
Indoor pool
Swimming usually at 8pm to 9pm

Challenge or what i"m not so sure is what is the minimal flow rate not to damage my heT pump, assuming could affect it.

I currently have it set at
1600 rpm 7am - 7pm
2600 rpm 7pm to 11pm
1800 rpm 11pm to 7am

Thank you in advance.

I currently have it set at
1600 rpm 7am - 7pm
2600 rpm 7pm to 11pm
1800 rpm 11pm to 7am
What is the reasoning behind all the speeds and the long run time. Is the heater driving the run time?

Most pools can get by with much much less. Currently I am running only low speed and only 2 hours per day. In the summer, I also run on low speed but solar increases run time to about 4 hours per day.

Challenge or what i"m not so sure is what is the minimal flow rate not to damage my heT pump, assuming could affect it.
If you don't see an alarm from the heater, then it is probably ok. Heaters will shut down if the pressure drops too low.

If the heater is the main reason the run time is so long, then I would set the RPM on the pump to the lowest value where the heat pump continues to work and run there for most of the run time. You may or may not need higher RPM for the skimmers but I doubt it because HP usually require fairly high flow rates where the skimmers should work fine.

The main reason to run 24hr is precisely that i don't understand if the lack of flow will damage the water source geothermal unit. If the pump is not on the the unit calls for heating how will that work? I guess your point is that the unit feels no pressure and will not turn on.
The other unknown to me is what the required rpm is to maximize the efficiency of the geo unit. My unit is a locally built and i'm not able to get proper answer from the contractor.

Anyone has come across this scenario and can provide guidance.

I know i can realistically run 8hrs to do 1 full cycle....i'm just hesitant that it'll damage the unit.

Thanks in advance

If the pump is not on the the unit calls for heating how will that work?
It should not turn on without water flow but it depends on how they configured the heating unit and if you have a system controller. Is there a system controller which you cant set both the target temperature AND set the run time for the pump?

Also, what is the make and model of the heating unit?

A list of equipment would be helpful. Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

cmc,

It appears to me you want your system to work something like this:

1. You set the heat pump for whatever temperature want.
2. When the water falls below this set point temperature, the heat pump tells the pump to turn on and then starts producing heat.
3. Once the water reaches the set point temperature, the heat pump tells the pump to shut off (or reduce speed) and then stops producing heat.

So, you need to determine how the heat pump can tell your Superflo (or any other pump) to turn on or off. To turn the SuperFlo on/off, the heat pump needs to send out a voltage of some type, like 24 VAC, or by closing a set of relay contacts. It seems to me the contractor who installed your system would be able to tell you if this output is possible or not.

If we had that info, we could point you in the path to get your Superflo running.

In the meantime, you can run your SuperFlo at say 1,200 RPM, 24/7, and my guess you will not even notice it on your electric bill... :D (Well, the SuperFlo part of it anyway...)

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have a water source Polar Bear brand geothermal heating dehumidification unit. It's local contractor made in Toronto Canada. I'm trying to get the answer from the contractor that installed it.

Ideally the heating unit and pump unit will sync in usage time. I'm told the winter is especially hard as the temperature change requires lots of stop and go on the heating unit. Also as it's a geo unit it takes longer time to heat to setting temperature.

If i can run it at 1200 rpm without affecting the efficiency of the geo heatet i'll be happy to do so.

cmc,

I tried to find some technical data about your Bear heat pump, but found almost nothing. :(

I'm sure that if running the heat pump without a minimum amount of water flowing through it would damage anything, then the mfg. would have included a flow switch that would keep the unit off until the proper flow was indicated.

Turn the heat pump on and producing heat, then set the pump for 1,200 RPM and see if the heat pump shows any fault lights or indicates it is not working. If nothing shows up, then I would assume everything is working ok.

In fact, if it works at 1,200, as a test, I would just keep dropping the flow until an error or fault came on. Note what RPM when the error occurred, and add 200 RPM and set your pump at that RPM..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.