Recommendations for New Pump

Uncle Rico's Pool

Sep 6, 2019
Wichita, Ks
Hello everyone!
Last year my pump died at the end of the season. Before I open this year, I need to install a new one. From what I’ve read, a variable speed is the way to go, but I wanted to confirm a few things. I do not have a salt water pool, so I will be adding liquid chlorine each day. Does the pump need to be at high speed during this to quickly disperse chemicals? If so, I only typically ran my pump for 4-5 hours anyway so depending on how long I would need to run my pump at high speed, I’m wondering if there would still be much benefit - especially after the upfront costs? What is everyone’s thoughts? Also, what pump do you recommend for 20,000gallon pool? I currently have a 1 horse single speed. Thanks!

Reactions: chadly08
.Does the pump need to be at high speed during this to quickly disperse chemicals?

No any speed that is moving water will do for mixing liquid chlorine or muriatic acid.

To dissolve dry chemicals like CYA or calcium or salt you may want to run the pump at a higher speed for 24 hours to fully dissolve them.

If so, I only typically ran my pump for 4-5 hours anyway so depending on how long I would need to run my pump at high speed, I’m wondering if there would still be much benefit - especially after the upfront costs?

AS of July 2021 federal regulations prevent the sale of single speed or dual speed pool pumps over 1 HP. So even if you get a new SS pump this will likely be the alst one you get.

Also, what pump do you recommend for 20,000gallon pool? I currently have a 1 horse single speed. Thanks!

Just about any inground VS pump will work fine for your pool. I suggest you call Inyopools and see what pumps they have available. Right now pool equipment availability is limited and if you need a pump to open your pool you may not have a lot of choice.

Thanks for the help. I am not finding very many 1hp variable speed pumps so I plan to go with a 1.5. I’m assuming since I can reduce the speed this should not be a problem. I also assume that it will not necessarily cost more to run since I control the speed as well. Am I correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.