Recommendations for mesh covers

I no longer use covers; I just deal with the incredible volume of leaves.

But when I did; I went with the cheapest cover and just replaced each year. In my view, they are impossible to fold, impossible to clean, and almost always have small rips and tears, even if you purchase a higher quality version.

Know that’s not the answer you were looking for… but I think the perspective is important. I don’t know anyone that is happy with the cover they purchased.

If you have harsh winters with many thaw/freeze cycles, significant snow accrual and the possibility of freezing rain events becoming ice on the mesh surface, your sleep will be more restful without a cover. The mesh cover will become frozen and trapped at the ice/snow interface, and in the Spring, removing it once the ice is gone, is like hauling in a fish seine. A mesh cover is useful to prevent vegetation from falling in, but should be removed a few days before the water freezes. Once it is removed, you can always use a leaf bag to keep the pool clean until the ice forms. Any leaves that accumulate after the ice forms are of no consequence until the ice fully melts In the Spring. I use a leaf bag to remove large debris in early Spring, pushing the ‘iceberg‘ around to reach all the pool surfaces.

Reactions: ChelleSte
I completely agree with Reggie. However, I live in Texas. But even here the pool store said I should cover it, winterize it, etc., and I did a few years, but was buying another cover every year. I started just leaving it open, making sure the pump ran 24/7 during colder weeks, and like Reggie, just try and keep up with the leaves. This way its already open for spring :)

Reactions: ChelleSte
I no longer use covers; I just deal with the incredible volume of leaves.

But when I did; I went with the cheapest cover and just replaced each year. In my view, they are impossible to fold, impossible to clean, and almost always have small rips and tears, even if you purchase a higher quality version.

Know that’s not the answer you were looking for… but I think the perspective is important. I don’t know anyone that is happy with the cover they purchased.
That's helpful, thank you!

If you have harsh winters with many thaw/freeze cycles, significant snow accrual and the possibility of freezing rain events becoming ice on the mesh surface, your sleep will be more restful without a cover. The mesh cover will become frozen and trapped at the ice/snow interface, and in the Spring, removing it once the ice is gone, is like hauling in a fish seine. A mesh cover is useful to prevent vegetation from falling in, but should be removed a few days before the water freezes. Once it is removed, you can always use a leaf bag to keep the pool clean until the ice forms. Any leaves that accumulate after the ice forms are of no consequence until the ice fully melts In the Spring. I use a leaf bag to remove large debris in early Spring, pushing the ‘iceberg‘ around to reach all the pool surfaces.
What's a leaf bag? Haven't come across that before.

Reactions: Eauclaire
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.