recommendations for a new pump/size

Jun 14, 2018
Long Island NY
I still have lots to learn about everything pool related but happy to say I successfully closed my pool last October using the information from this site. As the summer is approaching I'm starting to research pumps, filters etc and I need a new pump. I would like to purchase VS pump but I dont know what I need. I currently have a Spec E90-III 1.5hp pump but its leaking and has rusted out pretty bad. Speck E90 1.5 HP Single Speed Pool Pump (E90-III) - 2095156045 - INYOPools.com

I put together this little diagram (not exactly to scale) but I have all the measurements I think I need to get the correct size pump. If my math is correct (not sure because the deep end of my pool slants in from all 4 sides) then I have about 26,700 gallons. Using those pool calculators, 26,700 gallons/8 hours = 3,337 GPH or 55.5 GPM. Now where I get lost is trying to determine feet of head. Can anyone help me out with that? Or am I overthinking this and just need to purchase a 1.5hp VS pump?

Is your motor wired for 115V or 230V?

You might be able to get a two speed motor that mates to your pump. Check with InyoPools.

A VS pump will also work. InyoPools has its own line called Pureline. Or the gold standard is the Pentair 011018.

No calculations needed.

... I need a new pump. I would like to purchase VS pump but I dont know what I need. I currently have a Spec E90-III 1.5hp pump ...
In your case, since you are replacing an existing pump, I would consider 2 factors, if the filter & cleaning of the pool was "acceptable", then you can stay with the same HP pump.
Also, making sure your filter can handle the output of the new pump (depending on the age of the original equipment).

You might be able to get a two speed motor that mates to your pump. Check with InyoPools.
@InyoRob @InyoMatt Tagging some info guys ;)

Is your motor wired for 115V or 230V?

A VS pump will also work. InyoPools has its own line called Pureline. Or the gold standard is the Pentair 011018.

No calculations needed.

230v. Still learning here but I was looking at the VS pumps because I'm told they will save the most electricity

In your case, since you are replacing an existing pump, I would consider 2 factors, if the filter & cleaning of the pool was "acceptable", then you can stay with the same HP pump.
Also, making sure your filter can handle the output of the new pump (depending on the age of the original equipment).

@InyoRob @InyoMatt Tagging some info guys ;)

I would say that last summer I was able to run the filter for 5 hours during the morning and 4 hours during the overnight and the pool was "clean" imo

I have a hayward DE3620

Reactions: splashpad
A two speed motor on low will reduce your electricity use by 75%. A VS pump may get that to 80 or 85%.

Great you have 230V. Realize that the motors will need to be hard wired to your control box near the pump. And the addition of a surge suppressor is highly recommended.

Reactions: splashpad
No. To my knowledge they do not come with plugs, any of them. And they should be wired to a disconnect near the pump pad. The breaker box that services the pump should have a surge suppressor installed as VS pumps have electronic components that can be harmed by electrical surges.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.