Recommendation for PH tester

rjg202

LifeTime Supporter
I have a hard time distinguishing shades of red/pink. I use the PH test in the TF-100 kit and struggle with the colors. Any suggestions on maybe a electronic version or another kit? Not looking to spend a lot, the PH is really the only one I have an issue with, I use the drop test for Chlorine so I can see colors change.

rmontgomery

Oct 14, 2019
Rockwall, TX
I use the Apera PH20. It was a little on the pricey side, but I wanted something that did well holding it's calibration. You need to buy a storage solution also to maintain the calibration for extended periods. I also got tired of playing guess the pH color.

DanF

Silver Supporter
Mar 17, 2019
Chandler, AZ
I also got frustrated trying to match colors on the Taylor comparator. I just picked up the Apera PH60, and used it for the first time today.
Calibrated it first, and it seemed to work well. How do you folks test your water -- directly in the pool, or by bringing a sample inside to test?

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
I put a water sample in a small glass jar. I set the PH60 in it and let it stabilize while I'm doing other tests.
up,

I tried a pH meter once and it just seemed to just keep increasing pH as it sat there... How long does it take to "stabilize" and once it does, how stable is it??

Thanks,

Jim R.

revitup

Bronze Supporter
Nov 30, 2019
Pawleys Island, SC
I tried a pH meter once and it just seemed to just keep increasing pH as it sat there... How long does it take to "stabilize" and once it does, how stable is it??

After it 'stabilizes' in 2 or 3 minutes or so, it will continue to drift up very slowly by a few hundredths before it times out. I assume the drift is related to temp change of the sample during the test. If it times out while I'm doing the rest of the tests, or if it doesn't, I use the last reading I see. In any case, it usually rounds up or down to the same number.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Up,

I don't think I wanted 3 minutes... My meter was cheap and probably no good now..

I hate the color tests and think I may try your style pH meter. Can't be worse than what I have now... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

rmontgomery

Oct 14, 2019
Rockwall, TX
up,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Mine stabilizes in a few seconds and has a little smiley face when it locks in. Doesn't move after that.

Ryan

rmontgomery

Oct 14, 2019
Rockwall, TX
I also got frustrated trying to match colors on the Taylor comparator. I just picked up the Apera PH60, and used it for the first time today.
Calibrated it first, and it seemed to work well. How do you folks test your water -- directly in the pool, or by bringing a sample inside to test?
Since it is waterproof, I just stick it in the water to cover the measurement part of the probe and wait for the smiley face indicated it is done. Usually only takes about 5 seconds

Reactions: DanF