recaulking the tile line

james-m

Gold Supporter
Sep 5, 2016
New York
I had a company come out last year and caulk the tile line. they removed the old caulk and applied a new one
this year it is already almost gone, and of course it does not really help the concrete right above the tile.

I'd like to understand what I can do to do it right, they (the company) obviously did not really know what they were doing since they said: 6-7 years you won't see any problem with it.

I can remove the remaining caulk. But then I call to experts here to tell me what I should / could do.

1. Is there a binding layer I should apply before applying a new caulk? If yes, what should I use?
2. Which caulk I should use?
3. Any other thoughts / tips on what not to do?

Thank you!

recaulking-pool.jpg

A pool is not a bathtub. Caulk is not the correct product to use outdoors on stone and plaster.

You should be using Type S Mortar or pool grout to fill joints between the coping and the bond beam.

It is not clear to me where your expansion joint is. Cracking in that area may be indicative of a compromised expansion joints.

apparently people who take money for it do think it is a bathtub

ok, "Type S Mortar", that's helpful.

what are the steps though? what should I do to close the perimeter joint: remove, bind, reapply?

I am not sure where my expansion joint is, potentially under the deck, since from the link you sent it looks more like "Cantilevered Deck". Here is the same spot from different angles:

pool-joint.jpg

If you have a cantilevered deck then your expansion joint should be filled with flexible mastic and not any hard products. You need to identify the expansion joint versus other joints you may be filling.

Deck-O-Seal is often used for expansion joints. DECK-O-SEAL is used for caulking and sealing joints subject to movement to provide a firm, flexible, weather-tight seal. It is ideal for sealing joints on swimming pool decks.

Well at least they tried doing it correctly but they used the wrong stuff.. A high quality pool silicon should last 5 to 10 years.. It looks like they used bathtub caulk and that will not last and should never be used on a pool... the better stuff to use is below..

The area between the coping and the tile should never be done with grout..

I would do it as @ajw22 said.. use expansion joint sealant.. Sikaflex 1A is what you want..

1626864490262.png
Sikaflex coverage..
1626864619616.png

If you want to stay with a silicone here is a list of products.. I would not for many reasons, it is almost impossible to remove silicone once it is applied and it will need to be replied in 5 to 10 years...

1626864981133.png

Attachments

• OGT-Pool-Water-Feature-Installation.pdf
    809 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
100% silicone would never do this, the only thing I have seen do that is bathroom caulk... Did you look at what was used?

1626907309350.png

As for prep I am not exactly sure, there should be nothing left of the caulk and the area should be clean and dry...

Key is scraping out all old grout and caulk and whatever else is in the joint and cleaning it well. Surface prep is 80% of the work. Deck-O-Seal and Sikafkex are very sticky.

Reactions: cowboycasey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Deck-o-seal also has a version called one step.. I have not used either of them.. I am also debating on what one to use...

Reactions: MyAZPool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.