rebuild polaris 280/380 or buy robot

dford8583

Nov 30, 2019
Mobile, Alabama
I bought this house with a pool. first time pool owner. I notice the Polaris 280 or 380 keeps running into the wall and is sticking there. I had a pool guy come by and he recommended changing the tail and swivels ( I replaced tail and have swivels coming) it looks like the back up valve is blowing through constantly and it seems like the wheels spin intermittently. I am wondering if it is worth it to break down and rebuild the Polaris or if I should cut my losses and use that money towards something newer and better. Also how can I tell if it is a 280 or a 380?

thanks!

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
I hate to say dump the Polaris if its still working but.... a robot works soooooooo much better! Cheaper on electricity (no pump running needed) and picks up far more finer debris than those pressure vacs ever do.

Maddie :flower:

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
The Maytronics S200 is my robot, and much loved by many, many TFP-ers. Maytronics sells the S200 under a couple of names/colors to some national pool chains. Here is a recent thread discussing it-

Reactions: bmoreswim

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Also how can I tell if it is a 280 or a 380?
Look at the difference in the right side wheels.

If you decide to keep your Polaris you should do a complete rebuild kit. The problem is often corrosion buildup in the bearings that cause friction and slow movement of the cleaner.

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
A pressure side or suction side cleaner requires the pool's pump to run for it to work. A robot does not need an auxillary pump or the pool's main pump. It runs on low voltage electricity.... all you need is an power outlet for the power pack. I think they are estimated to cost about 5 cents per hour to run.

The good robots also climb up the walls and scrub the water line.

This is the one many of us buy- Dolphin S200 Robotic Pool Cleaners - Maytronics
Many of us have found an online source that has the best prices- Marina Pool and Spa in Colorado.

Maddie :flower: