Reasonable price for a gas heater, model recommendations, etc.

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
I'm getting estimates for a gas heater. I'm looking for what range you think a gas heater would cost. I'm thinking somewhere between 200,000 and 400,000 BTUs. I'm NOT talking about with installation, although they will "install" it. I say "install" because another company will have to deal with the meter, running the gas line, etc.

But what would be an average price?

Any recommendations on what brands or types to stay away from?

Any recommendations on national suppliers/installers? I use my landscape company, which hasn't really done any landscape work for me. They installed the pool 8 years ago. Years later, they installed an outdoor drain. Year later, repaired a badly damaged cyclone fence (and did a darn good job for free). Removed a swing/play set - ok that required some landscaping ;) So they are a onestop shop and i like them. But they, along with everyone else I talk to, says I should't get a heater. But neighboring trees have taken over. We don't get enough sun, solar isn't an option, and my wife and I haven't been in the pool for years. So, if we're going to replace the liner for the kids, we'd like to get some use out of it and also go NG on our outdoor grill, etc. My concern with using these folks for the heater is that they might not have access or experience with enough brands/varieties.

As far as prices, just look online. Look at places like Amazon, InTheSwim, InYoPool, or whatever. 250-400k BTU gas units will typically run you about $1600 - $2800 or so depending on the make and model. Be aware that simply running a propane heater on your pool will be a very costly endeavor. Natural gas is much cheaper if it's available to you. A 300k BTU heater will use about 3 gallons of gas / hour and you'll probably have to run it for a couple hours (there's calculators out there, use them). If your propane is $4 / gallon you could easily be looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $35 every time you want to use your pool.

As usual, names like Hayward and Pentair seem to be the standard here. I think Jandy also has a good reputation? I've seen Raypak a lot but I think that's more for heat pumps than gas models

Last edited:
Well, the feedback I'm getting locally is that I might be better just buying it online and having the plumber install it. Heck, I could connect it myself, but I'm not up for the digging and I knew the town would want a licensed plumber. Ugh...nothing's easy. No one local knows a good plumber, or contractor, or paver, or anything for that matter. Tree surgery is about the only area where I've had good luck.

My landscaper offers the Raypak 206K - so a 250,00 BTU unit. Any thoughts on that model?

A Raypak 206 only a 200K BTU unit.

Raypak is the better of the units on the market today. Please also keep in mind that when you buy online if you want to keep the warranty you should have it installed by a licensed company.

A Raypak 206 only a 200K BTU unit.

Raypak is the better of the units on the market today. Please also keep in mind that when you buy online if you want to keep the warranty you should have it installed by a licensed company.

Sorry, yes the 206K is a 200,000 unit. I was looking online at their 250,000 unit and made a mistake. They strongly feel the 200,000 unit is fine for what I need. i realize higher BTUs = less run time, so I'm wondering if 200,000 is ideal?

Warranty - well that's the rub isn't it. I was looking at these online and their probably $500-600 cheaper, but then no warranty. So I have to decide, is the warranty worth $500?

I just got the Raypack 266k btu model. My pool is nearly double your gallonage.
I found the old 250k btu heater I had adequate, I'd probably go with the 200k if I were you.

I also saw I could save some by ordering online but in the end, I want that warranty intact if
I'm gonna go this far. So I had a local Raypack dealer bring it and install it.

I just got the Raypack 266k btu model. My pool is nearly double your gallonage.
I found the old 250k btu heater I had adequate, I'd probably go with the 200k if I were you.

I also saw I could save some by ordering online but in the end, I want that warranty intact if
I'm gonna go this far. So I had a local Raypack dealer bring it and install it.

Good information.

I'm a hands on guy, but man, when I backoff and try to pay someone, I find I still have to get more involved then I'd like. The days of turn-key service are just gone I guess.

Did the Raypak dealer arrange for the plumbing, or do the gas lines have to be ready when he comes to install the heater?

Look for someone with the correct licenses for your area. In FL, they should have a CPC license and a gas license in order to do all the work from start to finish. A well known pool store here in FL sells heaters but can not hook up the gas as they are not licensed so they sub that part out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.