Really GOOD Bleach ????

Tbell

Jun 20, 2010
Tennessee
Good Morning All....I was previously adding 6% -96 oz. jugs of bleach to my pool Walmart brand. Last week the husband and I went to the Dollar Store and found 6% - 182 oz. of Dollar Store brand for only $1 more and bought a whole cart full. I added some to my pool the other night according to the Pool Calculator and tested the next morning. Was targeting a FC level of 12 and it raised the level to 17ppm. I thought I had made a mistake and checked the calculator again. I hadn't made a mistake. So, last night I added approx. half of what the calculator suggested and my FC level is 13 this morning up from 7 ppm last night. This bleach is like using 12%.....Must be some really good bleach. Anyway I think I am going to keep buying it from the Dollar Store. PS....Got my CYA down from 80 to 70......Yay!

Reactions: DiFillippo
Glad that you were able to apparently get some good chlorine from the dollar store. Most reports of dollar store bleach are not good. Your's is the exception.

Where is this store? Also, would you tell us the name of the bleach and the ingredients?

Butterfly said:
Glad that you were able to apparently get some good chlorine from the dollar store. Most reports of dollar store bleach are not good. Your's is the exception.

Where is this store? Also, would you tell us the name of the bleach and the ingredients?
This is from the Dollar General Store in McKenzie, TN. The Brand is called "DG HOME" 182 oz. the ingredients say: ACTIVE INGREDIENT: Sodium Hypochlorite 6.0% , Other Ingredients: 94.0%, Total: 100% (Contains No Phosphorus). And it is $2.50 per 182 Oz.

You might have been lucky.

I purchased bleach at Big Lots until I determined that the bleach was at best 3%.

If you purchase bleach at bargain stores check the labels carefully and do not purchase quantities until you have verified the strength.

I get 12.5 % liquid chlorine, and I pay 2.40 per gallon...I like it a lot, because for that price I can maintain my chlorine at 26 to 32 ounces a night At this rate I go through one gallon per week as long as I am not having to shock. I just got back from vacation and had to do some shocking. Water was clear but cloudy and Fc wasn't holding overnight very well...so that was on Monday...by Wednesday everything was cleared up...the water was sparkley and clear and now i am back to maintenance doses...to clear up this cloudy water and possible algae issue...$4.80...You can't beat that...

Same identical bottle as I'm buying here in IA at Dollar General for $2.50/jug also. It always says 6%. I've never checked for accuracy very close, but it has never undershot my chlorine level that I've found. I'm happy with it. Also 12.5% at Shoppers Supply for 2.99/gal. My only place to source 12.5%.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tbell, I use the same stuff from the Dollar General and have had good results. I have not found any bleach any cheaper anywhere based on working oz. of clorine. We live out in the country and do not have quick access to 10.5 or 12 percent bleach so I have been running my pool on the Dollar General Brand for two years. I have not had your experence of the bleach being to powerful but was more concerned that the bleach was not properly labled and was actually less percentage than labled. Consequently I have saved all my receipts just in the even someone opens a class action law suit over this issue. LOL. The cashiers at our store know when they see me I am there to pick up bleach and tell me of any sales out there. Like I said we live in a really small town. Since the summer clorine demand has hit I am using 2 jugs a day so for savings sake I have been forced to go get some of the 2.5 gallan 10.5% bleach from the pool store. It is certainly cheaper but not nearly as convenient.

jasonknox said:
Tbell, I use the same stuff from the Dollar General and have had good results. I have not found any bleach any cheaper anywhere based on working oz. of clorine. We live out in the country and do not have quick access to 10.5 or 12 percent bleach so I have been running my pool on the Dollar General Brand for two years. I have not had your experence of the bleach being to powerful but was more concerned that the bleach was not properly labled and was actually less percentage than labled. Consequently I have saved all my receipts just in the even someone opens a class action law suit over this issue. LOL. The cashiers at our store know when they see me I am there to pick up bleach and tell me of any sales out there. Like I said we live in a really small town. Since the summer clorine demand has hit I am using 2 jugs a day so for savings sake I have been forced to go get some of the 2.5 gallan 10.5% bleach from the pool store. It is certainly cheaper but not nearly as convenient.
Thanks Jasonknox....I am still adding half of what the pool calculator is rocommending and having great results. The only thing I had go wrong with the Dollar Store bleach thus far is that one jug was leaking from the top and bleached out the floor mat in the back of my car. But it's working great in my pool. :party:

cubbybeave08 said:
I get 12.5 % liquid chlorine, and I pay 2.40 per gallon...I like it a lot, because for that price I can maintain my chlorine at 26 to 32 ounces a night At this rate I go through one gallon per week as long as I am not having to shock. I just got back from vacation and had to do some shocking. Water was clear but cloudy and Fc wasn't holding overnight very well...so that was on Monday...by Wednesday everything was cleared up...the water was sparkley and clear and now i am back to maintenance doses...to clear up this cloudy water and possible algae issue...$4.80...You can't beat that...

That IS an awesome price!!!

busbeepbeep said:
I've been using the Proforce Brand from Sams Club. 4 gallons of 6% for $5.87. ($1.47/gal).

Would love to find a local place selling 12% for $2.40 a gallon.

You might be able to check into a distributor like Univar but that might require you buy in larger quantities.
I have bought 12% in gallon sized jugs from them before.
Obviously the more you buy the cheaper it is.

Best option is to buy it in 55 gallon drums but.... you don't want to store this stuff for too long. It might even end up being more trouble than it's worth...?

cubbybeave08 said:

That's what we get from the water conditioner supplier in easy to manage gallon jugs. I think we pay more but it's still not bad. It sounds like 12.5% will work? Like you, on a good weekend we are away from the house for days so I'm hoping some hold-over is possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.