Really getting Frustrated with CYA

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
I have been struggling with CYA for 2 years. It seems no matter how much I put into the pool I am "ALWAYS" around 40-50PPM. Perhaps I am just stupid and can't get this test done correctly but it's the most unforgiving test I think we can run for our pools. My largest issue is with the test itself. The label on the bottle I have is on slightly crooked, so I have to adapt a little, also, when filling the test solution to the top of the bottle (where it slopes towards the lid, I find it impossible to get it level there, it's either over or under. Then looking for the black dot to disappear there is so much subjectivity here, "it will not completely disappear, "don't look directly at the dot", " it will be slightly grey", etc, etc. This is a bit ridiculous, I was about 40ppm, I added liquid CYA, to bring it up 30 PPM, tested a week or two later, still around 50ppm. Just added more liquid CYA, 20ppm, tested a week later and I am still in the 50ppm range. For the sake of history, I used the dry CYA last year and the year before, same result.

So, can somebody tell me the exact amounts of pool water / cya solution I need to use in order to complete this test, I am going to find a more precise way to measure the water/chems. as this bottle method has ALOT to be desired. I see sooooo many similar threads I am amazed there are not some videos showing the exact look of the vanishing black dot.

I see sooooo many similar threads I am amazed there are not some videos showing the exact look of the vanishing black dot.

So you haven't actually looked then? ;) Taylor, who makes the test, shows exactly this. Links have been posted on the forum many times.

Here's a Taylor link showing what the dot looks like beginning, mid and end of test: Why Monitor Cyanuric Acid?

And here's Taylor's instructional videos where you can see it in real time:K-2006 Completeâ„¢ Kit with FAS-DPD - YouTube

The solution is mixed 1:1 so you can measure and mix up however much you want just as long as you keep the correct ratio.

Also you can buy the 50ppm reference Standard Solution from tftestkits ($5) and practice if you are unsure of your results.

The test is fairly easy once you get the hang of it.

So you haven't actually looked then? ;)

The solution is mixed 1:1 so you can measure and mix up however much you want just as long as you keep the correct ratio.

Yes I have seen them, but perhaps just me, the video is not that great, too far away.

So, if I go less than 15ml of each will there be adequate solution for the CYA tube in the TL-100 kit.

Thinking it would be more accurate to go 10 and 10 in better graduated tubes, mix then pour into the squirting bottle.

So then, why am I struggling to keep CYA in the pool?

CYA does degrade in pool water. It degrades faster in warm water and at higher FC levels. I lose ~15 ppm per month from June thru August.

Not sure if that applies to you. I am unsure if the additions you describe are closely spaced or over many months.

I do the test at least 3 times with the same solution and then average the number. Then round up to the nearest whole 10 (50, 60, etc).

Here are pics from the testing today done at 60, 50, & 40ppm. Sun at my back, tube at waist level and photo taken from eye level. I glance at th reading and don’t stare at it, at 60 and 50 i can barely see the black dot if I stare, at 40 I can’t see the dot even with staring. Let me know which test looks like it’s correct to you. Again I read that the correct test would make dot not visible with glancing or averted vision and that was the correct test, but directly starting and looking for the dot could give a false reading.

60ppm
F4B0C614-4ED6-4505-892D-D99C147384EB_zpsm2g8eeta.jpeg

50ppm
247EAEE3-9E4A-4884-B421-5B286F0C52B3_zpskft0lu7g.jpeg

40ppm
DA9A2ECA-2136-4CBB-8CFB-C5C82F5BCBEA_zpszd7lxvqh.jpeg

I was at 40 ppm in late May or beginning of June, I added 30ppm of cya, so I thought.

Check again a week ago looked like I was at 45 again, so I added 20 ppm.

Thanks for any thoughts, the photos aren’t uploading in the same resolution as my iPhone so they are not as clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks all. I guess the big question is should we be judging the test with averted vision or staring at it, I have read both. Also should the black dot be 100% invisible, again I have read both. If it’s okay to barely see it with glancing vision then I am at 60PPM if it’s to be 100% invisible I am at 40ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.