Ready to SLAM?

LouinNY

Jun 16, 2020
Clinton, NY
Stumbled on your site, wish I hadn't wasted time at the pool store...

Anyway, here is where I am at currently.

Pool is still cloudy, slight green color...wasn't closed properly last year, was a swamp when I started.

Total Chlorine 7.9
Free Chlorine 7.9
pH 7.2
Alkalinity 130
Hardness 350
CYA 35

Got these #'s from pool store test...

5000 gl above ground Intex pool with sand filter

12ppm of Chlorine is about right for my CYA?

Time to start SLAM?

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF100. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: LouinNY
When you're SLAMming, you're testing the water every few hours, up to every 30 minutes. I don't think the pool store will want you in that often to test the FC. They probably wouldn't be happy with you not buying their expensive potions, either...and that's assuming their tests are accurate to begin with, which we've seen time and again isn't true.

You really want your own test kit - it'll be the best $70-$100 you'll ever spend on your pool. :)

Welcome!

Reactions: LouinNY
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.