Raypak: Temp issue

OhioSunshine

May 20, 2020
Ohio
Let me start by saying we have had quite a few problems with our one year old Raypak pool and spa heater. Everything was working great for the past week or so and we have been so happy!!!

Out of the blue, something changed today. I turned the heater on and up to 90 this morning when it was showing that the current temp was 81 degrees. After about 20 minutes it showed 90 so I jumped in expecting warm water..... it felt like it was high 70's at best. It continues to heat the pool slightly but the water coming out of the returns is not anywhere near as warm as normal and I would guess that our pool is low to mid 80's right now when the digital heater reading says 100. Any help would be great!! Thank you in advance!!

Ken,

Welcome to TFP. Can you please add your equipment information in your signature including your heater model number? Here's how.

Temperature sensors do usually fail by reading high. So this could well be the problem. Temp is read as satisfying your setting so the heater doesn't heat. Your model number will help our experts provide more specific advice.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Ken,

If it were me I'd replace the temp sensor. Should be able to find it online under $30. I'm not as familiar with Raypak though so I'll ask a couple others to see if they can confirm. @ajw22 @JamesW .

Chris

Did the heater show 90 as the water temperature or as your heat setpoint?

Post pics of your pool equipment and the heater control panel when it is heating.

Do you have a pool water thermometer to determine the actual water temperature?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.