Raypak heater remote wiring

coilerman

Bronze Supporter
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have a Raypak digital heater (model R366A). I have the remote wiring connected to switch from spa to pool mode using three wires. I would also like to be able to turn the heater off remotely.

I have three wires coming from the control board - Pool Common (BLK/ORN), Spa Common (ORN/BLK) and 24VAC HOT (BLU). It's clear to me how the Spa and Pool modes work (close the 24v circuit with each respective wire), but the documentation says I can also have an OFF mode. Pool-Off-Spa or Low-Off-High.

Question is, how do I trigger the OFF mode? I suppose I could just use the fireman's switch to turn off remotely but since the three remote wires are already in my control box, I figured it would be the path of least resistance.
-

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
What control box do you have for your heater?

If the switch is not on POOL or SPA then the heater should be off. Do you not have a switch position that is neither POOL or SPA?

coilerman

Bronze Supporter
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What control box do you have for your heater?

If the switch is not on POOL or SPA then the heater should be off. Do you not have a switch position that is neither POOL or SPA?
The control is through a proprietary control box that my pool installer built. Circuit diagram below. The remote wires are connected to the terminal on the bottom right.

X10 Pool Automation.jpg

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Put an X10 module or switch that opens and closes the 24V heater line for heater on/off.

An issue may be knowing the status of heater on/off. Do you have any visual indication that your pool is in pool or spa mode?