raypak 266 no pilot detected

leezard

Sep 28, 2020
tampa
I have a raypak 266 natural gas spa heater. I recently had a gecko get behind the control board and cooked it (2nd time this year). At any rate, i replaced the control board (again) and tried to light the heater and during the startup process it stayed in the spark process and never detected the pilot, even though the pilot was lit. So, i replaced the pilot assembly (hood, etc), and it lit once, and heated for a while and then shut off (as normal), but when it tried to re-light, same thing. No pilot detected. I shut everything down and re-tried, but same thing...no pilot detected. Any thoughts?

Have you checked all of the grounding surfaces? You have a new pilot assembly, but is the cabinet/burner surface that the pilot assembly is mounted to clean/bare metal? Is the grounding wire attachment (green wire) to the heater cabinet clean/bare metal? Any dirt/corrosion/rust in the grounding circuit can cause the pilot flame to not be "sensed" even when it is present.

I don't know if you have your heater manual? This should be it http://cdn.globalimageserver.com/FetchDocument.aspx?ID=c404f1c5-ac50-4209-9457-56246d010b20 . If you have a strong blue pilot flame, you should check the flame current. I believe on your older raypak 013464F control board that flame current is read as voltage where 1V = 1microamp. The voltage/flame current should be greater than 1V/ 1microamp. If the flame current is good and you do not have 24 VAC between the MV and the MV/PV terminals on the gas valve it would indicate that the control board needs to be replaced.

So it turns out the idiot (that would be me) that installed the new control board after the gecko blew the old one up didn't have a good seating of the pilot light send/receive wire. All good now. thanks. thanks for the info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.