RaspiPool (Pool Automation System with Raspberry pi + Home Assistant)

ORP (based on EZO circuit)

I have discovered that I have some kind of old version, that dont respond to same commands as actual datasheet.
EZO ORP datasheets:
- actual version : https://www.atlas-scientific.com/_files/_datasheets/_circuit/ORP_EZO_datasheet.pdf
- my old version: https://www.openhacks.com/uploadsproductos/orp_ezo_datasheet.pdf

I have to make a manual Factory reset (I will post after), and modify my custom_component to initialize the device properly.

ORP seems to work fine. Very stable between 675 and 710 all night (but note it´s not callibrated)

(now, I have to buy another BNC cable extender, because I have to disconnet pH probe to read ORP...)

Last edited:
Hello. I have been observing the orp and pH together and I am really satisfied.

I have created a new sensor with "estimated effective free chlorine ppm" that is adjustable and seem to work fine (like real meassurement) so maybe the fist system to give this meassurement.

I have been rearranging gui, debugging bleach and muriatic injections, and putting more useful options, so I am very close to release a first beta soon.

Nice,

Do you have a picture of where you put the pH sensor. I really want to put one in, but apparently it needs to be in water all the time and I am not sure there is always water in my plumbing.

Hello Katodude.

1. The pH and (specially) the ORP probes has to be insterted allways inside water. If dried, they can be permanently damaged.

2. To get good measurements they need a generous flow of water circulating.

To get this two things, we build a cheap recirculating bypass where the probes (pH, ORP and temperature) are inserted. This bypass has to be placed in the lowest (deep) area possible of the water circuit.

If people find it interesting, I can write a post detailing instructions about bypass building and installation.

I was wondering how you tracked injection tank levels. If I understand correctly you’re just using the calculated injection amount and subtracting from the full value to determine the level. I was hoping there was a decent digital gauge that could be used that wasn’t too expensive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was wondering how you tracked injection tank levels. If I understand correctly you’re just using the calculated injection amount and subtracting from the full value to determine the level. I was hoping there was a decent digital gauge that could be used that wasn’t too expensive.
Yes. tank levels are calculated (no sensor).

I want to build an easy to build a basic (but powerful) Pool Automation System. For me, basic is all that "must be", as temperature, pH and ORP, and filtering and injections controls.

I think that true sensor about tank levels are not basic. About sensor levels, maybe pool water level is more important as if it down below skimmer can be a problem. Whats the problem about not exact tank levels?

But, please, dont take this as taxant response. I am open to all suggestions and apreciate them and even in future grow the system more and more.

Thanks.

Hmm... I can see this keeping me busy in my "spare time" for the next couple of years....

:oops:

My intention is to build a "easy to install" system for everybody. Probably I need create more detailed instructions, and I would like to get help from people trying the project to build better instructions.
But about time, if you has all the "Build Of Materials" and good instructions (not today), the time to build could be (if not in troubles):
- create bypass: 9 hours (3 days)
- conectivity (wifi, power, cables, box, etc.): 6 hours (2 days)
- buid raspberry + HA software: 9 hours (3 days)
- sensors and controls: 6 hours (2 days)
- first tests: 3 hours (1 day)
( total up to working system: less than 2 weeks).
- parametrize, test system and improve: maybe more and more and more (because the pool has their own time, and automation is something that hooks ;))...

Yes. tank levels are calculated (no sensor).

I want to build an easy to build a basic (but powerful) Pool Automation System. For me, basic is all that "must be", as temperature, pH and ORP, and filtering and injections controls.

I think that true sensor about tank levels are not basic. About sensor levels, maybe pool water level is more important as if it down below skimmer can be a problem. Whats the problem about not exact tank levels?

But, please, dont take this as taxant response. I am open to all suggestions and apreciate them and even in future grow the system more and more.

Thanks.

Your response is appreciated. I wasn’t making a suggestion as much as making sure I understood how you were doing it. Your solution would be able to send alerts to remind one to pickup more bleach or acid. But I’d like a sensor to provide feedback. Think of it as calculations predict the tank to be at this level, sensor claims otherwise meaning I should check it out as something may have gone wrong. Just thinking of what could go wrong and trying address it.

I think with the sensors you have you’re probably covered in that you’ll be able to detect change or lack thereof.

You could use this. Jonpcar is currently using them.

kato, read my latest update...I have had a 2nd issue with my acid eTape but the chlorine tank eTape is working great!

segalion...your solution is looking awesome as is your user interface...lots of things to like there! Thanks for continuing to update. I have zero time currently but when I get back in October, I will continue on my solution and will be looking very closely at yours for ideas/implementations...

I really am liking your ORP/pH updates. You know that is something that is on my list...so I am hoping your work all the bugs out before I get there, haha.

Thanks jonpcar and Katodude.

For sensor levels, i have been seen ultrasonic waterproof JSN-SR04T . Here reading integrated with rpi gpio. Problem is minimum of 25 cm range to 450 cm, but advantage of dont touch (acid).
Anyway is something I dont have in mind integrate in short-time.

... sensor claims otherwise meaning I should check it out as something may have gone wrong...

I think with the sensors you have you’re probably covered in that you’ll be able to detect change or lack thereof.

Yes. You are right. I think that I could detect that "something was wrong", by the difference between expected and actual reading.

I.e if I calculate: "for reduce pH from 7.39 to 7.2 I inject 450 ml muriatic", and at the end of the cycle (pool water supposed well mixed) I have pH=7.35, probably I can alert that "something was wrong: pH expected=7.2 and pH actual=7.35". The pH in pool its my real problem, not the mismatch in acid levels in the tank.

With the sensor level you can probably predict problem with muriatic injection. Ok, the problem can appear in muriatic empty tank (i.e due to tank leak), or in damaged relays, the peristaltic pump, the power supply for peristaltic pump, electric connections between relays and power peristaltic supply, some problem in the position of tubes, a obstruction in injection, ....

But problem can be pool related too: i.e. problem with ultra-dose of bleach that increasse the expected pH, or any other base-porduct fallen into the pool, or a fail in the pump filter so you are meassure pH of water in the pipe, not in the pool, or other something that I could imagine.

I will be out for a while so cant publish more advances. I have find more things to solve like defaults values at first startup (like a factory reset), a lovelace yaml config instead json, more hardware sensort and alarms (like sd disk space, ...)
So I plan to be able to release first version next week.

I have been reading a little in forum and I have a few new ideas.
First is pre-adjust muriatic to reduce pH depending on bleach to be injected same night.

Second is make an automatic OCLT Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) - Trouble Free Pool when no bleach is injected in night. Home Assistant has a default sensor for sunset sunrise, so it's really easy to measure ORP /FC loosed every night

There are a lot of ideas about extend project:
1. control chlorinator instead bleach injection
2. Basic control for VSP pumps based on 3 relays,... but I need help here because I don't know how this all works.it is really important has more than two speed?
3. Heater control based on water temperature. HA has built- thermostat and can be possible integrate google calendar as
4. Lights control for aditional relays. I don't know how to make automations with this without a presence detector.
5. Presence detector. It can raise the automation to new levels ( changing filter times and chemical in funtion of time of use of pool), switch lights at night....
6. Some relay for control valve. I can't figure how standarize...

Last edited:
Reactions: cmc0619

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.