Rash caused by Baquacil??

RJO54

Jul 19, 2022
New York State…upstate
Hello…18’ above ground pool put in late August 2021 so we only used it About 3-4 weeks. We use Baquacil.
Opens pool in May 2022 and water was surprisingly clear upon opening. Spoke to my pool dealer and followed his instructions to put a gallon of CDX in after refilling pool. Refilled, ran pump, did reading and added what was needed. Now in July our grand kids are getting rashes upon swimming. We are checking water chemistry 2x a week and topping off as needed. Readings have been consistently good!
What could be causing these rashes? Would it be sunscreen mixing with Baquacil?? Sunscreen used was
Continuous Sport Sunscreen SPF 30.
Help please…Thank-you!

Leebo

Admin
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2011
Eastern Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Welcome to TFP!!

May I ask, can you post a photo of your water and the readings you’re getting? There is a possibility it’s not the Baqua that’s the issue, rather pool water chemistry. Baqua pools are known here on TFP to be problematic so let’s see what your numbers tell us.

Reactions: anthonypool89

anthonypool89

Gold Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
What could be causing these rashes?
Sorry to hear this. I've been using baqua for 22 years and never experienced any sort of skin issues. The whole theory behind Baquacil / Softswim non-chlorine systems is indeed that it is supposed to be more gentle, especially for those that might be sensitive to chlorine. Have your grandkids ever experienced rashes from swimming before? I would speculate that unless your levels were way off, i.e. very high sanitizer / oxidizer level, perhaps that could cause some sort of reaction, but it sounds like you've maintained appropriate levels. Curious as to whether or not you use the pool store for water testing or do your own? Hopefully things get better.

anthonypool89

Gold Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
Spoke to my pool dealer and followed his instructions to put a gallon of CDX
This sort of popped out at me. That's alot of CDX. Here's a thread that alludes to the possiblity of irritation caused by high CDX levels: https://www.reddit.com/r/pools/comments/g7lw6k Click on the "19 comments" to access the thread. Unfortunately, I know of no way to test the CDX level. Even when I was getting pool store testing done, it never included anything on CDX level.

It would be helpful to know how many gallons your pool has. For best advice here going forward - either continuing to use baqua or if you would decide to convert to chlorine - the more info you can list as part of your signature, the better.

Last edited: