Ran out of CL testing solution

LeeH

May 9, 2017
Cherokee, AL
I'm trying to finish the SLAMing process. All of the debris is out, PH is 7.4, TA is 120, CH is 150, and CYA is 40. I was doing the overnight test last night. I tested at 8 pm CST and FC was at 17 ppm with CC at .5 ppm. I was testing again this morning at 5 am CST and ran out of Taylor 0871 solution. I ordered some replacement solution yesterday from the TFP supply store, but it will more than likely not be here until Friday. I use the 10 ml line on the tube where the multiplication of number of drops is by .5. When I ran out of solution, I had put the 12th drop in and the sample was still plenty reddish. The filter has been running since Sunday and the water looks pretty decent; just really cloudy.

My question is this: Should I just hold off on adding any more liquid chlorine (Pool Essentials 10% from Wal-Mart) until I get more solution or should I add one more gallon? Personally, I think I should NOT do anything without the ability to tell what the FC/CC levels are, but I haven't been doing this very long!

Sticky situation and I think your personal thought is a good one ... don't usually want to add without being able to test.
But, I don't want you to fall too behind either.

At high FC levels, you lose a lot to the sun every day. Even at a normal FC level, you would lose 2-4ppm of FC every day.
So, I would suggest adding about 5ppm of FC in the evenings until you have your reagent and can get back to the SLAM ... seems like you are close and might be at the final filtration stage.

You could always take a sample to the pool store and let them spin the wheel.. :joker:

attachment.php

That is funny, but I think I'll pass! I've had enough of that over the past nine years! I did go to one yesterday to see if they might possibly have some FAS-DPD reagent. When I asked them for it and mentioned the need to test my FC and CC levels, they looked at me like I had two heads and a tail!!

Received my testing solutions and retested:

FC 1
CC 1.5
PH 7.4
TA 100
CH 150
CYA 40

added more 10% liquid chlorine (512 oz) to bring the FC back up to 16. Will test again for a baseline OCLT. Water is still pretty cloudy. Perhaps it will clear up now that I can properly monitor the FC/CC levels!

Received my testing solutions and retested:

FC 1
CC 1.5
PH 7.4
TA 100
CH 150
CYA 40

added more 10% liquid chlorine (512 oz) to bring the FC back up to 16. Will test again for a baseline OCLT. Water is still pretty cloudy. Perhaps it will clear up now that I can properly monitor the FC/CC levels!
No point in even trying the OCLT if the CC is above .5 and the water isn't clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.