Raising PH without causing cloudiness

firstpool2020

Jul 5, 2020
Kentucky
If you have read my post history, you know it has been a ride! Pool is now not cloudy, free of flocc, free of algae, nice and clean but the PH is off. Last shocked about 24 hrs ago. Readings are as follows:
FC - 5
PH - 7.0 or less
TC - 3

Before we shocked it we were at:
FC - 3
PH - 7.1 about
TC - 3

I cannot do FAS-DPS due to lack of testing kit and cannot get one quickly, I have to work with what I have. Testing kit says add soda ash but will this make my pool cloudy? I read the guide and also another post on here from someone who used the calculator added 5.5lbs of it to a 6.9 PH pool and it shot up to a PH of 11 and was cloudy. So now I am scared.

Help?!

RETESTED SINCE POSTING:

PH - Less than 7
Drops of Base Added to get it to 7.4 = 8
FC - 3
TC 3
CC - 0
TA - 50 PPM

Last edited:

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Also, your TC cannot be less than FC.

markayash

Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
Ph Up can make the water cloudy if you add too much too fast. I learned the hard way and wish I had done it in steps

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
If you have read my post history, you know it has been a ride! Pool is now not cloudy, free of flocc, free of algae, nice and clean but the PH is off. Last shocked about 24 hrs ago. Readings are as follows:
FC - 5
PH - 7.0 or less
TC - 3

Before we shocked it we were at:
FC - 3
PH - 7.1 about
TC - 3

I cannot do FAS-DPS due to lack of testing kit and cannot get one quickly, I have to work with what I have. Testing kit says add soda ash but will this make my pool cloudy? I read the guide and also another post on here from someone who used the calculator added 5.5lbs of it to a 6.9 PH pool and it shot up to a PH of 11 and was cloudy. So now I am scared.

Help?!
You either need a TA reading for poolmath or a base demand test result to do some number crunching to know the dose. Even if the water clouds up a little, it won't last long.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Use 20 Mule Team Borax to raise pH. It will not cloud your pool. Assume your pool is 6.8 pH. Calculate and add enough Borax to get your pool to 7.4. Test in an hour or so and adjust if necessary.

Reactions: markayash

firstpool2020

Jul 5, 2020
Kentucky
Use 20 Mule Team Borax to raise pH. It will not cloud your pool. Assume your pool is 6.8 pH. Calculate and add enough Borax to get your pool to 7.4. Test in an hour or so and adjust if necessary.
Is there a benefit to Borox over soda ash? Also, should I add the full amount at once or do a bit at a time as I test.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Assume 6.8 and calculate the dose to 7.4.......all at once. You will not overshoot if your math and dosing is correct.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.