Raising PH and keeping TA steady

Charrua

Jun 3, 2008
I added CYA and my PH dropped to 7.0. My TA is exactly where I want it at 75 (had it at 100 last year and was continually battling rising PH...this year have never added acid). So now I want to raise PH. What's the better way to do it if I don't want the TA to move: add borax or aerate? Thanks in advance.

TizMe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Covington, Georgia
I agree with dbrown! FREE is good Turn one of retun jets up towards the surface of the water so it breaks the surface and just walk away. In a few days I would test it and see how much it rose.

Charrua

Jun 3, 2008
Thanks. Since I didn't get a reply early last night, I went with the aeration method. Will test tonight to see if there's a change.

Thanks again.

Rangeball

May 25, 2007
Charrua said:
I added CYA and my PH dropped to 7.0. My TA is exactly where I want it at 75 (had it at 100 last year and was continually battling rising PH...this year have never added acid). So now I want to raise PH. What's the better way to do it if I don't want the TA to move: add borax or aerate? Thanks in advance.
Chemgeek just posted this in another thread-

Borax is used for TWO distinct uses. One is to raise the pH without as much rise in TA. It does raise the TA, but only half as much as using pH Up / soda ash / sodium carbonate. Only aeration raises the pH with no change in TA.

TizMe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Covington, Georgia
The reason I said to check in a few days was because aeration is a slow process and with your PH now at 7.0 I doubt its going to rise that much overnight.

Charrua

Jun 3, 2008
I'm happy to report that the aeration method worked better than expected. PH was 7.4 the next day. Aeration was accomplished by pointing the two eyeballs upwards.