Raising CYA

611Manetta

Mar 15, 2021
NJ
I have been having a hard time raising my CYA.

Recent test results:
PH - 7.8
Alkalinity - 160
CYA - 30 at best, black dot barely went away when all of the mixture was added
FC - 3
TC - 3

I added about 3 lbs of cyanuric acid via the sock method last weekend and then added about one pound directly to the skimmer yesterday.

Pool looks crystal clear.

the CYA put into the skimmer will take a while to get into the pool.. You will probably backwash most of it out so do not count it really... only do the sock method..

It can take a week before it will show in a test.. :)

the CYA put into the skimmer will take a while to get into the pool.. You will probably backwash most of it out so do not count it really... only do the sock method..

It can take a week before it will show in a test.. :)
I did the sock method last week, little increase. Trying to get the CYA to 70 since it is a salt water pool. Should I try the liquid stabilizer or stay with the granular and sock method?? Also, will high PH and Alkalinity cause issues with raising CYA?? Currently I am high on both.

I used the sock method and squeezed the sock a couple times per day. This helps a LOT. Within 3 days it was always completely gone and CYA went up just like Pool Math predicted. Also, CYA lowers the pH significantly so starting at 7.8 or so never was a problem for me. As @cowboycasey recommended above I would never put CYA directly in the skimmer.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.