Raised spa in remodel

Jettech22

Apr 25, 2021
Houston
Hello everyone, I often find myself here for pool advice and really appreciate everyone's knowledge!

So we are having our pool remodeled here in Houston Tx. It's a 20'x40' pool with a half circle spa built on the side. We hired a contractor to add a raised wall at the end, raise the spa, add a tanning ledge, along with tile, coping and plaster. Everything has been smooth so far except now I have questions about the method they are using to raise the spa. They are taking cmu block and standing them up to form the half circle. The blocks are empty with no rebar or concrete fill. I have asked our contractor about this and he said with as small as the spa is there's no reinforcement needed. What do you guy's think, am I concerned about nothing or should there be rebar installed?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210424-093307_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210424-093307_Photos.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 48
Hi, welcome to TFP! I would think you need something to tie it to the existing structure and not just plaster over a stack of bricks. I'll ask some experts for their opinion. Are you just raising the perimeter wall or is the seating area supposed to be raised also?
@JamesW @jimmythegreek

Seems like an odd way to do it, but I know nothing about spa construction. For what it’s worth, I had a very similar spa to you, and we ended up filling it in, making it a ledge, and building a new raised spa on a different wall.

I wouldmt be ok with that. There should be pins epoxied into the existing shell amd a form made then a pour in one shot. Theres not much strength in hollow block with just mud joints unless its stacked vertically with a running bond.

Contractor agreed to remove the top to add rebar and concrete fill. I asked why this method instead of shooting shotcreat or gunite into a form and they said they can't get a truck for a couple months because it's so busy. I'm getting very uncomfortable with how this work is done.

So the stacked block is going to need to hold up to adults leaning against it. I'm no construction expert but I really think it needs to be tied to the structure like Jimmythegreek said. Also are they supposed to be running spa jets through the block?
EDIT: That's a poor reason for doing a sub-standard job! Unless it just has to be done now I'd wait. Is your pool in an unusable state now?

No reason for gunite om this. Its above grade a form will make the shape. Gunite is to shoot freeform amd not needed here. This needs to be epoxy tied to existing bond beam and done with concrete. Block work is not appropriate here for long term results

Reactions: Jettech22
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.