Raised Bond Beam Construction - Vinyl Liner Steel Wall Pool

KevinJH

Mar 23, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Reading through the forums it doesn't look like the raised bond beam is as common with vinyl liner pools, so I'm looking for some insight from someone who has seen this done.

I need an 18" raised bond beam at the deep end of my pool. My plan had been to pour a continuous concrete bond beam around the perimeter of the pool level with the steel wall, then build the raised wall with 3 rows of dry stacked wall blocks. Is this correct, or should it be a poured wall ?2021-05-13_8-42-00.jpgwidesheerdescent.jpg

Last edited:
There needs to be a place for the liner track on that back wall. You might want to have a stone ledge overhang your liner track on that back wall to help hide the track, then build your wall on top of that. So essentially do it all as if there is no back wall at all then build your wall on top. If you don’t care about seeing the liner track, you could pour the wall after the track is installed on the bond beam, or use block like you are planning which would probably be easier.

jamjam, Thanks for the reply. I agree - I had planned to build this wall atop the liner track. I also contacted Pool Engineering (Pool Engineering, Inc., Structural Design of Swimming Pools and Residential Improvement Structures) who had some really helpful detail drawings on their website showing construction details for concrete pools. When I called them they offered to send me the vinyl liner details no charge. So if anyone needs engineering for an unusual pool build I would recommend contacting them.​

Remember that a steel wall pool is not structural so any raised areas need to be self supporting and minimal weight applied to the actual steel frame. Is this a new build or renovation? Provide some details and I can advise you how to prep and build it

I am almost complete my DIY installation with a waterfall wall / bond beam like youve described.
I poured my normal bond beam, compacted about 12" of stone on top. then poured a 10" concrete bond beam to be flush under/ with the steel walls.
this allowed me to put an 8" blocked on top of the steel wall panel and have it be supported as only 4" of the block was on the wall.

Fill every other void or third amd use rebar vertically. Your in freeze country have to be careful with hollow block work. Condensation builds inside then freezes amd can cause cracking. Something that small we build out of steel studs and veneer it with permabase then ads stone/etc. like an outdoor kitchen.

Good job on the footing that's the way to do it with steel wall

Thanks Jimmy, I will be doing that. Just haven’t gotten to that stage yet. Backyard project has been kicking my Rear. Had to focus on getting deck piers drilled, then hit some of my pool plumbing of course... plan was to fill with grout, rebar, and then leather finish granite top.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.