Rain turned pool orange !!!!

ttomp

Jul 22, 2010
Gonzales, LA
I just filled it the other day (well water) and when I added chlorine it turned orange so I added a metal sequestrant. That cleared it up so yesterday I shocked it with bleach and it was fine late yesterday evening. We got a big rain today and it turned it orange again. Does rain have metals in it or do I have something else going on? What do I do now?

Cl2 10ppm
pH 7.4
TA 110
CYA 20 (stabilizer dissolving now in pool)

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Add more sequestrant. The rain apparently changed the pH just enough to allow the metal to precipitate.....very unusual....How much rain did you have?

ttomp

Jul 22, 2010
Gonzales, LA
Just by guessing I would say 2-3 inches between last night and today. Raised my pool level about 4 inches til it was overflowing through the skimmer.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
I think there was a couple things that happened here. One you added sequestrant a week ago. You then shocked the pool, THEN it rained. High chlorine levels will precipitate out iron and it has been long enough that you were close to needing a maintenence dose of sequestrant again, then the rain diluted the sequestrant dose a bit more and probably raised the pH as Dave said, and voila, it turned orange.

I wrote all that just to agree with Dave "Add more sequestrant"! us Daves got to stick together.

DWSPool

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2010
Southern Indiana
I think the idea of iron precipitating out after a pH change is sound, except for the fact that rainwater is slightly to moderately acidic; normally in the 5 to 6 range due to dissolved carbon dioxide (carbonic acid), but could be more acidic near urban areas due to air pollutants. I don't have any other bright ideas, but I thought I would throw a wrench into the works here - sorry :?

DWSPool

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2010
Southern Indiana
:idea: How about temperature change? Cooler temperature rainwater - decreases iron solubility, iron precipitates, orange water. Or, increase in oxygen level, leading to ferric iron (tri-valent) as opposed to ferrous iron, the more soluble form.

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
DWSPool said:
I think the idea of iron precipitating out after a pH change is sound, except for the fact that rainwater is slightly to moderately acidic; normally in the 5 to 6 range due to dissolved carbon dioxide (carbonic acid), but could be more acidic near urban areas due to air pollutants. I don't have any other bright ideas, but I thought I would throw a wrench into the works here - sorry :?
Rain always raises my pH. It may be mechanical and due to the aeration from the raindrops hitting the water in the pool, but inevitably I have to add acid after a heavy rain.

ttomp

Jul 22, 2010
Gonzales, LA
I did add sequestrant yesterday evening cause I didn't want to wait to long so I just did it. It looks better this morning but I still need some more. I didnt want to over do it. I just wanted to make sure that it was possible for the rain to cause this and not something else. Once again Thanks !!!!!

Other Threads of Interest