Rain Storm Muddy Water

Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
Hello, I'm new here :handwave:. I think I have filled out my signature correctly.
I'm a first time pool owner (new pool), so I'm still getting the hang of all this stuff! My water has been great but this morning we had a torrential downpour which caused a bunch of dirt from my garden to wash into my pool. The water is now a lovely brown colour and I couldn't see past the first step. The water level was to the top so I removed some water using the waste setting, skimmed the mulch out, and have turned the pump off in the hopes the dirt will settle. In the mean time my chemistry is now all off.
My question is; should I leave everything off, until the dirt settles, for however long that takes (days?), & vacuum to waste? Or should I just leave it off until I'm home from work later, vacuum to waste, and then turn the pump back on again and start fixing my water chemistry? I'm worried if I leave everything off for too long that things might get worse and maybe the water never clears that way. I was told I could also try adding flocculant?
It's been 5-1/2 hours and the water is less brown, more of a greenish brown and I can somewhat see the second step.
First pic is what it looked like first thing, second two are what it looks like now. We were supposed to have a pool part Friday! ?

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 16
  • two.JPG
    two.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 16
  • three.JPG
    three.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 16
Welcome to the forum!

What type of filter do you have? Please add that to your signature.

It would be best to get the water circulating and raise the FC to SLAM level - see FC/CYA Levels

What test kit do you have?

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thanks Marty!
I have added my filter to my signature, it is a High Rate Hayward Pro Series sand filtration system (I will have to check the model). I have yet to purchase a testing kit, I check daily with strips and take water samples in to the store weekly. In my rush to leave for work this morning after trying to pump water from the pool in the pouring rain, I didn't bring a sample with me! I will have to bring one in tomorrow. The test strip shows 0 FC, high 8.4 pH, looks like high Alkalinity, around 180 and my stabilizer looks between 30-50 on the strip, maybe a bit higher.

I will turn the pump back on when I get home and get the FC up, thank you! Do you think I should bother with the flocculant at the moment?

I will check out and read your links! Thanks :)

Last edited:
See if this will clear without floc. Floc is not something we ever recommend. It has the potential to make things worse.

Your sand filter should do a good job, along with the robot.

It would be a good idea to invest in a proper test kit. What you are doing is pretty much guessing. Strips are truly worthless, pool stores not far behind the strips.

Being in Canada, it is difficult to get a proper test kit. Best way is to order and have shipped to a mail drop in a US border town. You are not that far away being in Toronto. See Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 Test Kit ™

Okay great thanks! Funny because when our pool store said we could try the Floc, I called a different store closer to us to see if I could get some there and they recommended that we don't use it. I guess that's why!
Yes, I was looking around for a test kit I could purchase in Canada but was having a hard time. We have friends in Rochester who visit often so maybe a good idea to ship to them.
Thanks again, I was feeling pretty bummed about this. Hopefully I can get it cleared up fairly quickly.

One more thing, should I try to reduce the pH or just work on the FC for now?
To be honest, we don't like to provide guidance on chemical additions based on suspect test results.
If you would normally reduce your pH, go ahead.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like what I dealt with this spring/early summer.

You’ll want to run your pump 24/7 until clear + brush and vacuum daily. It’s not ideal and it probably will take longer than you’d like, but once you get through it the first time it gets easier.

Unless the rain was a total anomaly, you’ll probably want to consider figuring out a better drainage plan to avoid having to deal with this every time it rains. We bit the bullet and are about to kick off a rather expensive landscaping project to resolve all of our backyard/pool related drainage issues.

You can read my journey here:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.