Rain, Overflow, and New Fiberglass Pool

ny2nc

Bronze Supporter
Dec 19, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Help! We have been getting an insane amount of rain here for the last 48 hours and it will continue at least through the night. Right now our water level is approaching equal with the top of the fiberglass shell (still 3-4 inches of concrete decking above that). Should we drain to waste to lower the water level as quickly as possible? Advice???

Sincerely,
Newbie trying not to panic :eek:

Thank you Kimkats! Hubby just went out in the monsoon and drained 3-4 inches out of the pool to buy us some time. Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by overflow tube to the skimmer basket? Where might one very panicked pool owner find this device? Please, try not to laugh at my ignorance...we've only been on our own with this thing for about 2 weeks! :confused:

Yes lower it. You do not want it to get between the lip and coping. Your PB did not add a overflow tube to the skimmer basket?

Kim:kim:

I'm not too far from y'all and also getting pounded with rain, we've got about 4"-5" so far. I lowered my water Saturday in anticipation of all the rain and the water is just about level with the top of skimmer now, I'll drain to waste tomorrow. Worst part has been the temperature drop, my water went from 89* Saturday to 75*.

Salty

Thank you Kimkats! Hubby just went out in the monsoon and drained 3-4 inches out of the pool to buy us some time. Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by overflow tube to the skimmer basket? Where might one very panicked pool owner find this device? Please, try not to laugh at my ignorance...we've only been on our own with this thing for about 2 weeks! :confused:

Not all pools have an overflow tube. If your pool is overflowing, you either don't have one or the rainfall is exceeding its capacity (far less likely).

No worries, drain any way you can to keep the water level mid-skimmer.

When you have a clear moment in the day you can look in your skimmer and see IF there is a hole on the side of the skimmer towards the top. Not many have it. The PB drills that hole then puts a small PVC pipe attached to it and going off somewhere to remove the overflow of water. The overflow is most often done in a plaster pool. I looked at your finished pool pics (man that came out SO pretty!) and you stand a chance of having one BUT I bet you do not.

Good job hubby for going out to drain some water. Better safe than sorry.

:hug: and dry weather for a while I hope for you.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.