Rain, over full pool — pump?

Great question and was waiting to see some answers as I am new here and wanted to see what others would recommend.
I live in MD and did turn my pump off so as to not put too much strain on it. I am not sure that's the correct answer. I am also keeping an eye on the water level. I will definitely have to drain water off after the storm passes. Possibly sooner if it continues all day.

I am in Spotsy Virginia, the rain here is finally over. I kept my pump on low speed the whole time with a a hose attached to the spigot the builder plumbed in off the pump. I let it drain and it seemed to keep up with the rain as it filled the pool. I added extra chlorine last night before this mess started and the pool is currently crystal clear...

If it’s safe to be outside you can drain during a storm, but the excess water may be too much for the already saturated ground to handle. You have to make the judgement call on a case by case basis and sometimes abort mission if you guessed wrong. Likewise it’s smart to pre-drain some but you’ll never know exactly how much to expect until it happens. With these storms these days changing paths 25 times it’s tough to guess. It’s the age old darned if you do/don’t.

Reactions: GM-
As far as the OP’s question goes, I don’t think there’s any harm in allowing the pump to keep running even if the water is over the skimmer. The skimmer won’t be effective, but it won’t make a difference to the pump.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.