Rain and calcium

Jackiejkj

Apr 12, 2020
Southern Louisiana
Please talk to me about calcium. I live in southern Louisiana. We get INCHES of rain at a time. I think I will spend 200 more dollars on top of the 200 I have already spent before the summer is over. I should mention I have a speed stir to check calcium. I lost 50 with the last rain.

I think you can see my logs and all information in signature.

Last edited:
You lost 50 ppm of CH and 10 ppm of CYA.

Do you have an overflow drain on your pool?

The rain diluted your water and you lost a bunch through the overflow drain. The dilution lowers your CH and CYA.

What would you like to know about calcium? Looking at your Poolmath records a loss of 50 ppm leaves you at 250ppm for calcium. You have room to use cal-hypo as a chlorine source if you wish. It will boost the CH after heavy rains. Just don't go past 400ppm.

Range is 250-650. Do not get hung up on the mid point that is shown in Poolmath. Adjust that number or just ignore it if you are in range.

The ranges were developed so that most pool owners can ignore the Calcium Saturation Index. If you are unable to stay in the range (like my pool), we manage CSI.

Reactions: MikeTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.