Raccoon Poop.... Really Scared!

I agree with others, raccoons poop in so many water sources that humans swim in every year and yet there aren’t many reports of illnesses associated with the round worm eggs found in raccoon scat. My theory is the CDC needs to inform the person of the most 100 percent fail proof solution to potential disease so they don’t get in trouble because there might be that one in one million chance.

You should go forth what you would find to be the most comfortable solution for you and ask yourself these questions: how often do you encounter raccoon scat or other animal scat in your pool? Are there any measures to prevent animals from going in your pool if you do run into droppings multiple times a year? Is this situation extremely rare, if so, would draining and refilling give you peace of mind? Nobody should be afraid or too uncomfortable to be in their pool water. The honest most rational opinion from me and everyone else is SLAM the pool, run your filter 48 hours, backwash filter and you are probably 99 percent okay. It’s just CDC needs to give you a method that’s 100 percent fail proof, if you know what I mean.

Think about it, how many people vacation or leisure swimming underwater in lakes, rivers, ponds, and dirty beaches without a hitch? In a sense, those people are lucky because they are risking some gnarly bacterial infections going in untreated water like that. So overall, you’ll be fine. You’re already on top of things. Just my two cents.

It’s just CDC needs to give you a method that’s 100 percent fail proof, if you know what I mean.

While I do agree with all your points, the problem is that with this particular worm there's only one almost 100% guarantee and the CDC has provided it. Drain, wash/sanitize, change filter media, and refill. And send a sample off to be tested. Bleach doesn't kill this thing, even full strength. So there's only one option if you're concerned enough to go that route.

That being said, they do say the chances are very low. So there's that.

I really don't think it's something to worry about, and also there's always the chance of miss-identifying the poo.

I really don't think it's something to worry about, and also there's always the chance of miss-identifying the poo.

Exactly. I think it's far more likely for a duck or Canada goose to poop in a pool than a raccoon to do so. If we worry about every little thing that could introduce bacteria and parasites to our pools (dogs and little kids, anyone?) I think we'd never get in them, just super-chlorinate them all the time.

That's no way to live.

• Haha
Reactions: frogabog
I can't find the SeaKlear stuff anywhere in 150 miles from me. To order from Amazon says it wouldn't arrive until Monday. Do you know if there are any there similar chemicals I might be able to find easier?

If I filter the pool at shock level for 24 hours, backwash, and deep clean the sand filter, do you think it will be enough? I'm really tired of going around in circles and feeling like my pool is a biohazard. No pool stores know what I'm talking about, the CDC doesn't know what I'm talking about, no vets or laboratories know what I'm talking about, the dept of agriculture and the dept of health all have no idea what I'm talking about. Apparently I am the only person on the planet who has ever experienced a raccoon pooping in their pool.
All I want to say is thank you!!! I’m experiencing the same struggle right now and found this post. It feels great to know that I’m not the only one frantically googling about their poops and staring at that CDC guidance in desperation!!!

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.