Questions Regarding a Pool Renovation in CT

Banya112

Jun 21, 2019
Hi all. First time poster. I hope I am in the right forum. I bought a house in CT last year with an old 16x32 rectangle 21,000 gallon IG vinyl pool that we are looking to renovate at the end of summer/early fall (after swim season). Renovations we are having done pretty much include all new components (deck, coping, liner, plumbing, equipment, etc.) besides the pool structure itself. While the builders I have talked to have given me good information, I just wanted to post here to get some additional ideas.

1) One of the long sides of my pool is starting to bow inwards a little bit. Most of the pool builders I have talked to said they will need to need to dig down to the footings and install new A frames in concrete to hold the wall back in place, while one pool builder just mentioned replacing one or two sections of the steel walls. Which seems like the more likely action to address the issue?
2) I am looking to add some lights to the pool. The pool builder I will most likely work with suggested 3 Pentair Globrites along the long wall of the pool that faces away from the house and main seating areas. Will 3 Globrites be enough lighting, too much lighting, or too little lighting?
3) I want to upgrade to a VS Pump from the 3/4 HP Hayward Superpump that I currently have. I was thinking the Pentair Superflo VS pump. I thought this would be enough for my setup instead of the Intelliflo, since I have no additional features outside of two skimmers/returns and automation is not that important to me. Will this be the right choice for my pool or should I go with the Intelliflo?
4) My current pool just has two ladders for entry and exit. We are going to add a vinyl over steps with a bench combo in the shallow end and we are considering adding a bench to the deep end (built outside of the current pool structure). Do these vinyl over options typically hold up over time? Would the deep end bench be a worthwhile addition?
5) I am debating between pavers and stamped concrete for the new deck. Does anybody have any specific thoughts on either material for a pool deck given the climate of New England?
6) Are there any other suggestions that might be useful during this renovation?

Thank you all for your help.

- Banya

Welcome to TFP.

1) One of the long sides of my pool is starting to bow inwards a little bit. Most of the pool builders I have talked to said they will need to need to dig down to the footings and install new A frames in concrete to hold the wall back in place, while one pool builder just mentioned replacing one or two sections of the steel walls. Which seems like the more likely action to address the issue?

The devil is in the details. We really need to see the situation with the walls and soil to say what the fix is.

I would think the thinking of the A frame guys is that if the wall did not last with the existing structure then you need something stronger to create a lasting fix. Replacing the walls is more likely a short term patch job and the problem will occur again.

2) I am looking to add some lights to the pool. The pool builder I will most likely work with suggested 3 Pentair Globrites along the long wall of the pool that faces away from the house and main seating areas. Will 3 Globrites be enough lighting, too much lighting, or too little lighting?

Read Pentair LED Pool Lights - Further Reading

GloBrites use a proprietary niche and have poor reliability. Just about all pool LED lights have not proven to be reliable and are expensive to repair. I suggest you look at nicheless lights that fit into a 1 1/5" PVC pipe like the Pentair MicroBrites. Then you can change between brands as necessary. The MicroBrites are smaller and you may need a few more of them.

Post pics of your pool with dimensions to discuss light placement and coverage.

3) I want to upgrade to a VS Pump from the 3/4 HP Hayward Superpump that I currently have. I was thinking the Pentair Superflo VS pump. I thought this would be enough for my setup instead of the Intelliflo, since I have no additional features outside of two skimmers/returns and automation is not that important to me. Will this be the right choice for my pool or should I go with the Intelliflo?

Either will work. Depends if you want to close off the option of future Pentair automation control of that VS pump.

How do you control your pump runtime now?

How do you chlorinate your pool?

4) My current pool just has two ladders for entry and exit. We are going to add a vinyl over steps with a bench combo in the shallow end and we are considering adding a bench to the deep end (built outside of the current pool structure). Do these vinyl over options typically hold up over time? Would the deep end bench be a worthwhile addition?

Let's see what @jimmythegreek says.

5) I am debating between pavers and stamped concrete for the new deck. Does anybody have any specific thoughts on either material for a pool deck given the climate of New England?

I prefer pavers. Easier to repair. You can remove them to dig down if needed.

6) Are there any other suggestions that might be useful during this renovation?

Post pics of your pool and equipment and let us see where else we can spend your money.

@jimmythegreek this reno in your service area?

Thank you for the response and information. To answer a few of your questions: Right now I control the pump run time with a simple plug-in timer. I use tablets and liquid chlorine on my pool. I really tried to just supplement with tablets as needed last year. Here are some pictures to give a sense of the area that I am working with.
20190719_124724 (3).jpg20200331_161729.jpg20190730_162338.jpg

It's all gonna depend on what's found when liner is pulled. The A frames probably rusted and let go. Theoretically that concrete deck is also umder that top lip so it should help support it. That's a sign the wall panel is going too and the pool could have other rust and structural issues coming soon. Its not easy to fix steel walls long term without major repairs amd digging. Hopefully its just that area or a groundwater issue nearby that accelerated things.
For decking I always go pavers. We do concrete on tight budgets but it's a last resort. I agree with Allen I like nicheless lights and if tight budget 3 old school spa lights. You can convert to LED bulbs later on

Thank you both for the replies. Hopefully things don't look too bad when the liner gets pulled.

Do you have any thought on the vinyl over steel steps or bench that I am looking to have installed? Do these features usually hold up well?

Also, if I go with the Pentair microbrites instead of globrites, how many would be recommended given the size of my pool (16×32)? Would placing them all along the one side wall facing away from the house work best? Is the benefit of going with the nicheless lights in it does not limit me to a proprietary niche in the future?

Thanks.

Do you have any thought on the vinyl over steel steps or bench that I am looking to have installed? Do these features usually hold up well?

I have no experience with that to say.

Also, if I go with the Pentair microbrites instead of globrites, how many would be recommended given the size of my pool (16×32)?

2 or 3 lights along one side.

Would placing them all along the one side wall facing away from the house work best?

yes

Is the benefit of going with the nicheless lights in it does not limit me to a proprietary niche in the future?

Correct. If you get color LED lights then consider how the color control will work.

liner over stairs holds up fine, you can even get texture on the steps with some companies. not too hard to install anything inside the pool, pretty straightforward. as for the deep end bench it is much more work. depending on what you want the wall section may have to come out which involves sectioning off the concrete collar and doing major disturbance to the frame. much harder if the frame is rusty and deteriorating. My opinion is its not worth the effort if you are putting a tanning ledge and stairs inside the pool thats plenty and probably cheaper of the 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.