Questions As We Get Ready

We are getting ready to pull the trigger on our pool and have some final questions. Any feedback is appreciated.

1) We are looking at the Pentair Hybrid heater (heat pump with gas heater). Can this be used with a saltwater generator or is chlorine recommended?

2) We are considering an auto cover. Can an auto cover be used with a saltwater generator or is chlorine recommended? Have seen several discussions about saltwater being bad.

3) Our pool builder has recommended a cartridge filter. Thoughts about cartridge versus sand/glass or DE filters?

4) WE are considering a ppol cleaning robot. Can these be used with a saltwater generator or is chlorine recommended?

5) Will polymeric decking coating protect against saltwater, or again is chlorine recommended?

6) If we decide to go with chlorine, any recommendations on the chlorinator/chlorination method to help preserve the life of our pool, equipment?

Thanks!

Personally, I would not pick equipment based on whether you have a salt water chlorine generator. The concerns about salt in a salt water pool are overblown. Keep in mind that the level of salt in a salt water pool is less than 10% of the amount of salt in ocean water.

In other words, if you go with a salt pool, just pick the equipment and stuff you want

Also, I think you understand this, but just in case - a salt water pool is also a chlorine pool. The difference is that a salt water pool uses a chlorine generator to turn salt into chlorine. So you're going to have chlorine in the water no matter what. It's just a matter of how you add / create it.

If you skip the salt water chlorine generator, you'll have to add chlorine by tablets or by adding liquid chlorine.

Reactions: l1ltaral1l
3. Each pool filter type has its advantages and disadvantages. Figure out what you prefer by researching each. Folks here appear to use and support all three types, so no right answer.

4. A robot is a time saving way to keep your pool (and filter system) beautifully clean for very little energy cost. I would recommend budgeting for a robot cleaner.

2) We are considering an auto cover. Can an auto cover be used with a saltwater generator or is chlorine recommended? Have seen several discussions about saltwater being bad. Yup....a salt water pool IS a chlorine pool. Hasn't mhad any negative effect on my autocover.

3) Our pool builder has recommended a cartridge filter. Thoughts about cartridge versus sand/glass or DE filters? Get a BIG one and you'll lessen the times per year you have to clean the cartridges. Sand is great, but slowest to clean out algae (if you got it). I don't like sand alternatives. Sand is a natural filter...why mess with fakes?? DE filters are great but the most work to clean out.

4) WE are considering a ppol cleaning robot. Can these be used with a saltwater generator or is chlorine recommended? Yup. Actually I don't know of anything that can't be used with a SWG pool?....except soft stone coping??

5) Will polymeric decking coating protect against saltwater, or again is chlorine recommended? ALL pools build up salt from break dow of EVERY chemical added. Using a SWG just means the device translates that salt (Sodium Chloride) into Chlorine....the same way Clorox makes chlorine!! Just on a much smaller scale. You can manually add chlorine or just the device that makes chlorine...your call.

6) If we decide to go with chlorine, any recommendations on the chlorinator/chlorination method to help preserve the life of our pool, equipment? Salt Water Chlorine Generator for the WIN!! Every time.

Thanks!

Keep us posted on what you decide :)

Maddie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.