Questions about my switch to liquid chlorine

poolcrazed

Jul 23, 2020
Durhamville, NY
Hello from central NYS. I am working on lowering my CYA- now at 100- and have just switched in the last two weeks to liquid chlorine so am very unfamiliar with how quickly this breaks down. I recently got my proper TF test kit and am aiming for about a 9-10ppm. The pool is unheated and coolish (about 74 now), only has two swimmers, and only gets a few hours of direct sunlight each day.
It seems like it doesn't even hold the higher amount of chlorine overnight. I am getting gallons from Agway and thought they did a swift business but maybe it's older than I think? How quickly should I expect that to get below my target? Or should I be expecting to add chlorine each day to keep it at 9-10? Thanks for your insight. I have had the pool 12 years but have just learned of the CYA/CHL connection! Hate to admit it, because it's stupid, I know. My pool is very clear and lovely right now but I don't want to risk algae.

Chlorine looses strength overtime. It also depends on how the chlorine is stored.
Look at the bottle for a date code to determine the age.

Perhaps the chlorine is not raising the ppm as expected. Try retesting to determine
how close the results are.

-Bigpaws

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.