Questions about my new robot - Doheny Saturn Dolphin

May 11, 2016
Troy IL
Hi all. I finally got my Doheny Saturn robot by Dolphin today. I ordered it last Sunday and they shipped me a caddy instead of a robot on the first attempt. Luckily they got me the actual robot today. So I've had today to run the unit in my pool, and I gave it a good workout considering my pool was filthy from the deluge of rain my area got this past week. I read the manual, didn't see much info beyond how to plug it in and throw it in the water. So I did that, let it run and watched happily. After it completed its full cycle, I noticed one area of my pool hadn't really been cleaned. It was over by my steps which are the removable wedding cake style stairs. The basket on the dolphin was full of worms and leaves and gunk, so I cleaned it out and attributed the missed area to it being full. Ran it again and it mostly got the missed area, though not well. And it won't touch my steps at all. So i got my brush out, brushed the steps and the area it missed on the floor. Then ran it again and it seemed to get the dust that had settled again.

So, is it normal for it to take a bit to learn the pool before it really cleans it fully?

One other weird thing it seems to do that I found odd was it seems to start climbing a wall either way far in advance of the wall, or sometimes just in the middle of the pool the thing will rear up on its back wheel and move forward a little bit. One time it went up on its rear wheel and then floated over to the other side of the pool before setting down and continue to roll around on the floor cleaning. Is that normal?

Overall I'm mostly happy. It certainly cleans as good or better than I usually did manually but with 1/4 the effort. I'm just not sure I'm getting the "I've never seen my pool so clean before" feeling that everyone else seems to enjoy. Maybe all the rain lately just has me down :)

The wheelie thing is how it turns to go in different directions. It took a few days running a couple of times a day for mine to get the pool noticeably cleaner. It was surprising to me how it just kept getting more stuff even though the pools seemed clean already. I don't really remember if it missed any spots, but I really don't pay as much attention to my robot as some folks seem to. :)

I've been amazed at how it seemed to find gunk to filter even when the pool seemed clean already. I let the thing run one more time before calling it quits tonight, just because I figured it would probably filter more gunk out.

Anyway, sounds like mine is working as it should. I'm sure I will watch mine a lot less as time goes on. But it's been amazing to watch it do its job for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.