Questions about clear solar covers.

Holiday

Silver Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Sierra Vista AZ
Hi guys. This is our second summer with our new pool. We had a blue solar cover until a couple weeks ago. I never really had a hard time keeping the FC level right. The cover got hit by a hail storm and we replaced it after it had lost hundreds of blue circles and was really falling apart. We got a clear solar cover and now I'm having a hard time keeping the FC at any detectable level. Last night I poured an old bottle of bleach in the pool to try to raise the FC, as well as running the SWG a few extra hours. Late today I checked the FC and it's 0. I ran a few tests. PH was 7.5, alkalinity was 110, CYA was 30. I threw in my tablet floater since CYA was low and am running the SWG longer. My question is do the clear solar covers somehow allow the sunlight to use up the FC more than the blue ones? It was too late to check the cell to see if it's got any scale build up, but the lights are all green and go. That's on the list of things to check tomorrow, but I'm just curious why it seems to start having troubles after the new clear cover was installed. Could the clear cover be letting the sun break down the FC faster than the blue? Thanks for your help.

Yes. They are designed to allow sunlight to pass through during the day to heat the pool in addition to retaining the heat at night like the blue ones.

Yes, I suspect something is brewing. I have 0 CC, I believe. When I did the dpd powder test the water did not turn pink at all. I normally try to keep my FC according to my CYA level. I usually have the FC a little high as I try to get it just right, I feel it's better to be a little high rather than low. The water is still crystal clear and after breakfast I plan to check the cell and break down and clean my filter. I'm just baffled how a change in solar cover's can impact the FC so drastically.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.