questions about baqua/cholrine convertion

amandap

Apr 27, 2012
Hi!! I too am wanting to convert to cholrine. Our 17000 gallon pool has only been open 4 weeks.. and I have spent a whopping 300 dollers on chemicals with baqua. My question is: how long will my pool be out of service durring the conversion?? And how much will I spend on the convertion
I have a 27ft ag pool. With a 1hp sand pump combo. 17000 gallons..and vinal liner

We are strapped for money this summer..so I'm wondering if I should just wait until next season to convert...
Any advice at all will help me...

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Both the time and expense vary quite a bit. A conversion can run anywhere from a week to a month, much of that depending on how much time you have to pay attention to the pool, and costs can be $150 to $350 or so, less if you already have a suitable test kit.

I recommend converting, but it is a major project. The time to convert and the not swimming time are significant. However, I believe you will save money for the season by converting now, rather than later.

CF

May 10, 2012
FYI I am as of today .... 7 days into my conversion, and I believe I will be completely done by no later than Wed, for a total of 10 days.

I'm a newbie but my guess length of conversion process will depend on several factors including (but not limited to?)

- size of my pool
- what kind of shape it was in BEFORE I started (I had "healthy" baqua levels to begin with, but had to get my pH up to target level, bout 1-2 days)
- the fact that I fill my pool up at least 25% each year (effectively adding new water each year)
- how consistently I was able maintain 15 ppm of FC in my pool (I only maintained this on 1 FULL day in the last 7 days because I work away from home during the day, but EVERY night it was at 15 ppm at the least) until you reach "step 7"
- other?