Questions about adding SWG

Hello TFP members,

We are looking to add a SWG to our Vinyl 27k gallon pool. It was built in '95, so we aren't totally familiar with the background, but we had the liner replaced when we moved in recently. I have attached a picture. A few concerns I have:

1. The coping is aluminum (I believe, see picture). Not sure how to verify. We have repainted it after we moved in, it appears in good shape. Do we need to worry about it pitting due to extra salt? I've seen some concerns on here, but couldn't find a thread with anyone who has the same with SWG.
2. I believe the ladders are regular stainless, I assume I would need to replace them with something built to withstand the salt?
3. The pool light looks like this one, hoping that will be ok with the additional salt.
4. We are looking at the Circupool RJ60, since it is the only 60k gallon rated unit that looks to be available these days.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

PoolLadderAndCoping.PNG

Welcome to TFP :)

I would recommend you get a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit.. You already have a salt water pool so you may not need to add much salt..

The RJ 60 is a GREAT SWG :)

Once you know what the salt content that will tell you how to move forward with questions 1, 2, and 3.. I bet you are over 1500 to 2000 ppm salt...

Thanks for the reply- the kit arrives tomorrow! Will reply once we have the results.
I’ll give you an advanced preview. The stainless steel and aluminum are fine at such low salt levels as used in salt water pools. It’s not ocean salt water levels. The only thing that’s a potential concern is paint, but that’s a concern with any paint exposed to water not just the lightly salted water.

How recently did you refill the pool? Anything over a year or two would have almost half the salt needed in the water already. Every chemical added leaves a bit of salt behind as it breaks down.

Madddie :flower:

How recently did you refill the pool? Anything over a year or two would have almost half the salt needed in the water already. Every chemical added leaves a bit of salt behind as it breaks down.

Madddie :flower:
Ah, we just got the liner done about a month ago. So I assume you mean it will likely have less salt than before? Only thing we've added since is CYA, bleach, and some Borax.

I’ll give you an advanced preview. The stainless steel and aluminum are fine at such low salt levels as used in salt water pools. It’s not ocean salt water levels. The only thing that’s a potential concern is paint, but that’s a concern with any paint exposed to water not just the lightly salted water.
That is good to hear. We did use some oil-based enamel paint that was recommended here for the coping so hopefully it lasts. Easy enough job to recoat it if not. How long have you had the RJ60? I assume you are happy with it?

That is good to hear. We did use some oil-based enamel paint that was recommended here for the coping so hopefully it lasts. Easy enough job to recoat it if not. How long have you had the RJ60? I assume you are happy with it?
I’ve had it just over a year. No trouble at all so far. The sun seems to be making the clear part of the cell a little hazy, I might try and add some kind of awning over the equipment just to keep the sun off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.