Question regarding Sodium Bisulfate (Dry Acid)

Ankrumfishing

Apr 7, 2020
Hondo, TX
So my local general store ran out of MA and I have more on order, but nobody else in town carries any and I really need to keep working the pH and TA down on this new pool, short of going all the way into San Antonio which isn't going to happen today. I bought 5 lbs sodium bisulfate from Walmart, and I realize that this puts sulfates into the water which can lead to corrosion overtime and is not recommended for a SWG. I just wanted to know if the 5 lbs I bought would really create a huge issue with my equipment if this is just for emergency scenarios? Here's my latest chemistry from today, and I use the ever hated Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 (which I love BTW but that's another topic altogether).

1586691371127.png

Hard to say what sulfate level will cause a problem. It takes a while for sulfates to accumulate to problem levels. Do what you need to do using Dry Acid and switch to MA when you can.

Thanks AJ! I was just figuring a 1 time dose shouldn't effect things too much, and I have told the local store to order 8-10 gallons of MA at a time and I'll buy them all. That way when I get down to the last couple of gallons over time, I'll have them order some more!

have you checked your local paint stores? Or Lowes paint department? That's where I find mine. I barely use one gallon a year, you've ordered a lifetime supply!

Maddie

Yea I don't plan on using it all at once, but since it doesn't have a shelf life I won't have to worry about not having it when I need it now :party:

We don't have any local paint stores short of going into San Antonio, which I really don't want to do right now with the virus running through like wildfire. There is one more hardware store that I'm going to check that was closed the other day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.