Question regarding Ascorbic Acid treatment

david8956

Jun 9, 2010
After confirming stain type, reading here about the ascorbic acid treatment, and ordering the acid (2.2 lbs from Amazon for $36.95 with free shipping) I will be doing this treatment next week. My question is..............

I saw where the chlorine should be brought back up slowly. Can I do this with the SG at the "normal" setting? Is that too fast? Too slow?

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Yes you can use a SWG. You should run the SWG at no more than 1/3 of the usual percentage to start with, perhaps even a little less than that.

david8956

Jun 9, 2010
Update - performed AA treatment yesterday after adding the suggested algaecide, lowering PH to 7.0 & allowing chlorine to get to zero (almost).

I witnessed a miracle! Every stain in this 5 year old pool was gone within an hour :-D . (Used all 2.2 lbs of AA I ordered, what else was I going to do with it, take it as a vitamin? :roll: )

I have since used washing soda to bring up both my PH & Alk to suggested levels. Since I use a SG, and I normally run it at 60%, I turned it back on this afternoon at 15%. Obviously the chlorine levels will never get where they need to be at this %. Question is............how often should I bump up the % to get chlorine where it is needed, keeping in mind the SG will also raise the PH, or should I raise the chlorine to the necessary levels using liquid chlorine (I already have 4 gal on hand). If I take this approach, how much should I add at any one time and how often to bring the chlorine back up slowly as suggested?

Thanks for your help, you guys saved me a $$$$$ by posting the instructions for the AA treatment! (After this is all balanced.........it's on to Borax!)

Other Threads of Interest