Question/opinions on filtration and media

Eric, not a problem :cool:

I think you're doing the correct thing in just replacing the sand (& I don't buy into the sand needs to be replaced every "X" years :!: )

You have possible filter issues and the parts to correct them, so why not change the sand while 'rehabbing' the filter?

I almost said something about sanitizer levels in my first post to you, but, instead concentrated on the mechanical issues (I also knew Dave would be along to discuss the clarity issues, as he is THE proponent here on 'cloudy water = no/ low chlorine' :poke: :) )

Your Triton filter should have a double drain plug. The smaller one will let water out, for draining, while keeping the sand in. The larger one will let the sand out (it's got ~ a lateral attached to it).
It's S-L-O-W to get the sand out that way and you have to keep shoveling the pile out of the way to keep the flow going - and keep a garden hose flowing into the tank to facilitate the emptying of the sand. I just use a shop-vac and suck the sand out - watch the weight of the container, wet sand is HEAVY!

If you have any questions about changing the sand, or replacing the laterals or the bulkhead fittings - all you need do is ask.

Thank you for the helpful contribution Waste,

I am trying to get this done...not easy in a new country.
On the good side my water is getting clearer and in shades of blue rather than green.

Few more questions:
Turns out I am having a hard time finding the pea gravel here in Panama. I did find in one pool store but these guys are thieves and liars. They told me that my Triton 100 was too old to get parts (bulk head) and I had to change everything and quoted me $1200 for (300lbs) sand filter, without multiport. They are wanting $300 for 200lbs of pea gravel. They also have the TFT-100 but it is $185. So I am not too keen on doing business with them. Obviously they are under the impression that only multimillionaires have swimming pools here.

My gardener tells me I can get stone at a quarry nearby. Am i correct to assume that any stone of constant size (4-6mm) would do the job of increasing the flow and keeping sand out of laterals (if they break) so long as it does not have calcium in it?
Also yesterday I found cal-hypo at about half the price ($1.42/lbs) but have to buy direct from the factory in 100lbs, which I promptly did but my FAS-DPD kit still has not arrived. In the mean time I have been using my oto test and diluting 1 part pool water to 5 parts -Cl free- fresh water (multiplying results by 6) to get an approximation of what I am doing . Certainly beats going blind. 1 to 5 dilution allows me to read in the 5-ppm range of my cheap kit. This might be a good trick for other newbies needing to shock before the DPD kit gets there. I simply fill the CL test tube with fresh water 5 times and transfer to a larger container and then add one test tube of pool water...rinse the test tube and fill it with the mixed solution and test as usual. Multiply the results by 6 for 1 part to 5 or by 5 for 1 part to 4.
thank you TFP people...
Eric

Eric, I'm a little pressed for time (I've got to get my new home painted and winterized :pukel: in the next few days...)

Please understand that your dilution method DOES work, but you lose more accuracy with each dilution! :) Pool School covers this, and a LOT of other issues. And, as always, we're here to assist :cool:

Hello Ted,

Thanks for the input...Yes I do realize that this is not a precise method but it is nevertheless a lot more accurate than the taste method :wink: . In a perfect world I would have my TFT kit in my hands but given that it is stuck at customs since monday, is the best I can do aside from shutting down the pool...I have been dosing at about 4ppm more than recommended to average out for my ~6ppm accuracy and been on it like a hawk, an average of 3 times a day...My staff think I am crazy...they are probably right! :lol:
The brokers have been promising the kit every day this week and I still don't have it...
On the bright side I can now see the bottom of my pool and it is actually an inviting shade of blue...I can even make out the shape of the drain.
Guessing that another 10lbs or so would get me there. I can see myself swimming in a few days.
I do sympathize with your winterizing issues...Good luck with it!
Thanks for your kind help.
Eric

Finally getting there...

Glad to say that I only lost ~6ppm of FC overnight...so at least it is getting somewhere.
water still a bit cloudy but because I just redosed it but I think a few more shots should do the trick.
Still have to find the gravel so I can change the sand...
Anyway here is a shot of the pool. In the background is the port city of Colón.

Thanks for all the help.
Eric

Attachments

• pool better.jpg
    pool better.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 15
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.