East Hampton NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have a pretty large pool that was built in 2000, originally with 1.5 inch pipe. When I resurfaced the pool in 2011, among other things, I replaced all of the 1.5 inch plumbing with 2 inch. All new piping was installed from the skimmers and returns to the equipment pad, and all piping at the equipment pad was replaced with two inch (including at the pump fittings etc).

Having said that, I just noticed (while installing a manual heater bypass) that one of my Jandy valves was never upgraded. Instead of replacing the valve with larger diameter flow, the installer just RE-used the existing 1.5-2” valve (putting the 2 inch pipe on the outside of the valve on all sides - see photo). Will this have a significant impact to flow? Worth changing while I am doing other work?

The valve splits the returns between my 5 eyeball returns and my waterfall (really just water return flowing down a rock). I have a Jandy actuator that either cuts off the waterfall or splits flow between waterfall and returns. I suppose the returns and waterfall might be stronger with less flow restriction - but not sure of magnitude.

Attachments

• A2E12E5E-92F1-48A1-8E36-9416CAC5934C.jpeg
    A2E12E5E-92F1-48A1-8E36-9416CAC5934C.jpeg
    482.6 KB · Views: 10
You will see no operational difference if you upgraded the valve.

Thanks. But doesn’t the narrowing of 100% of the water flow from 2 inch to 1.5 inch act as a flow limiting step for everything (like a rate limiting step in chemistry)? I had a feeling you answer would be the correct one, but I am not sure why?

Thanks. But doesn’t the narrowing of 100% of the water flow from 2 inch to 1.5 inch act as a flow limiting step for everything (like a rate limiting step in chemistry)? I had a feeling you answer would be the correct one, but I am not sure why?

No, it just adds a few feet of head to the plumbing.

Bernoullis principle says the flow will speed up when it encounters the restriction and then resume the same flow when it gets out of the valve. It is net zero except for the additional head that your pump will easy overcome.

You have to study fluid dynamics which is different then your chemistry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle

Reactions: pgershon
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.