Question on 2” plumbing to returns and skimmer

Aug 11, 2017
Chelmsford MA
Hello-

i have a couple quick questions on 2” plumbing. I’m replacing all of my old 1 1/2” flexible host with 2” pvc and have most of it planned out, but not sure what to expect when I get to the back of the return jets and skimmer.

For the return, most of what I have searched looks to have a threaded 1 1/2” male end to it. Is this standard and so I just use a female threaded to 1 1/2” adapter on it, then convert that to 2”? Or do they make a 2” version of return jets that I should be using? Just want to make sure I don’t have to order and special adapters before I get started.

Similar question for the skimmer, although I’m not sure what to expect there. I have a Hayward skimmer and the product specs say 1 1/2” connection, but I haven’t seen a picture of it and not sure if it’s threaded or not. Also, is the 1 1/2” advertised size the same as standard schedule 40 pvc or is there some sort of special adapter?

Thanks for for your help!

I wasn't sure on skimmer model so I did some googling and I now see that the 1084/1085 fittings are FIP, so that answers that question. For the wall fittings, I have no idea. I only have one return right now on a 20x40 pool with a deep end and as part of the project, I wanted to add a second return at the deep end of the pool so it's going to be a new one.

Its not just about back pressure... I also want the second return as we have a really hard time getting good circulation under the surface, especially in the deep end.

It doesn't seem too difficult... pop the liner out of the track (which may be a PITA), slide something down behind the liner to keep it away from the panel, then mark/cut a hole. Any advice on what to look out for?

Have a couple extra sets of hands to keep whatever material you use from spinning, when you punch the wall.. & wait until the steel wall & the waste materials cool, before proceeding. They will be smoking hot, easily melt the liner or burn skin.

Fortunately my walls seem to be some type of wooden composite, they feel like a pressboard material from the back side.

I am unsure of how to pop the liner out though. I’m assuming I don’t want to try and pry it with a screwdriver or anything, but I don’t see a good way to get a grip on it to work it lose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Let’s see?

Cement board, as in those we see at Home Depot etc, are not structural members- even for interior tile as they are intended. They only decouple the tile from substrate...

Anyway. I’m interested.

did you get a free pool when you bought the house or have it built?

Haha I don’t think they are actual cement board, just describing what it reminds me of. The pool came with the house. The house was built in 68 and I think the pool was put in sometime in the 70’s. I’m not sure in the full history as far as what is original and what has been updated.

I actually knew the previous owner and used the pool when we first met 10+ years ago but when we bought the house, the pool was nearly dry and the liner was completely shot. We had someone come in and out a new liner in, he said structurally it was still in good shape save for a few areas of base (vermiculite I’m assuming) that need to be smoothed over. Walls were still in good shape and as far as I can tell from the areas that I’ve exposed, they look good. No rotting/crumbling of any kind that I can see. I’ll try and take some pictures tomorrow.

You don’t want to pop out liner near a corner, not very forgiving. & that 45 corner already looks stretched, if it release like a rubber band, you will not have fun. You want to have a long straight run to do this work, mush easier to control.

Looks like wood under the metal coping on a concrete wall?? Is this a concrete pool that a liner was placed in?

How thick is the wall?

Definitely not concrete, or if it is, it’s not like any concrete I’ve seen before. Looks like it was framed out using 2x4 PT members and then a 2x6 or 8 top plate under the coping. The wall is maybe 5/8 and it looks/feels like some kind of composite material.

They were a lot higher res but I'm pretty limited on the total size of uploads I can post.

In any case, I'm starting to reconsider. I was hoping the liner would be easier to take out of the track and put back in, but I'm not seeing any good way of doing it and I don't want to wind up with a damaged liner or a liner that I can't get back in. I'll probably just fill that section back in but finish swapping out all of the existing plumbing with the 2" PVC and come up with some other option for improving under surface circulation, maybe with a pressure side cleaner or something that moves around.

I appreciate all your help though, its definitely been an informative little project!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.