Question about what to do while pool is filling after liner install

TazJMT

Jun 19, 2014
Spotswood, NJ
Hello Everyone,

Finally bit the bullet and got a new liner. Now the pool is filling and will likely take 2-3 days to fill up. In the meantime before the level gets to the skimmer where I can turn on the filter and circulate, it occurs to me that the water is just kind of "sitting there" and is not treated/sanitized with chlorine. Is that ok? It's only going to be in the 70's this week here, but it just feels weird to hope I don't have some growth while it fills. Does anyone add some liquid chlorine and just kind of manually stir it up a bit to prevent growth? Or is this silly and a couple days is fine?

(In my mind, I am just comparing this to how bad it would be if I had 2-3 days of no FC when the pool is full)

Thanks,
John

What is the source of your fill water?

Have you tested your fill water for chlorine, pH, TA, CH? If your fill water is municipal water you will find it probably has 0.5 of FC that is used to keep the water sanitary. That will last until your pool is filled and your pump is running so you can add liquid chlorine.

Have you tested your fill water for chlorine, pH, TA, CH? If your fill water is municipal water you will find it probably has 0.5 of FC that is used to keep the water sanitary. That will last until your pool is filled and your pump is running so you can add liquid chlorine.
I didnt even think to test fill water for FC. I will check it out-yes it is city water

Look to see if the city will waive the sewage part of your water bill. Mine will do that. I just submit a letter from the pool company with the volume of my pool.

You don't need a pool pump to sanitize a pool. You pour the chlorine in all around the perimeter, instead of all in one spot, and use your pool brush to mix it in. Our queen suggests a boat paddle as an alternative, just dragging the paddle around the edge of the water to create a slight current.

I don't know liners, but if you're worried about bleaching, I'd dilute the chlorine first and try not to let it splash on the dry liner.

Last edited:

Just checked the water-there is "some" chlorine in it. It did get more clear when I hit it with one drop. Probably not quite .5, but there is something

Just checked the water-there is "some" chlorine in it. It did get more clear when I hit it with one drop. Probably not quite .5, but there is something

That will do while the pool fills.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.