Question about reducing CYA

texan4ever

Sep 14, 2021
Dallas, TX
I received confusing advice from the pool store and I used too much sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione . Now my CYA is too high. Last week I drained about 10inches from my pool and refilled. The CYA is at 90.

I have a SWG pool. I am in Dallas, TX. The pool is getting cold quickly. It is getting minimal use (less than 2 hours a week when I swim laps). In Dallas we get most of our rain between now and spring. So the pool water is going to dilute over the winter.

So ...

Should I do additional draining to get the the CYA down to 70-80
or
Should I just see what the CYA looks like in the spring?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Drain it each time you expect a storm. Do keep chlorine in it based on FC/CYA Chart or it can go green.

You show having a SWCG. Hard to understand why anyone would use dichlor in a pool with a SWCG.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
T4E,

I have three pools in the DFW area and the CYA level in all of them goes way down over the winter. I never worry about my CYA level after the pool season is over, I just add more when the next season gets here.

None of the pools are closed for the winter.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread