Question about piping for a new build

mouty

Feb 18, 2017
annapolis, md
I was talking with a PB today and I'd like to get the forum's views on this issue. I had read that you should only use ridgid PVC pipe and not flexible pipe. The rationale is that the flexible pioe is easier to damage ( because it is less strong than the ridgid pipe) and it is susceptible to termites. The PB i spoke with today said that he likes to use it because you get better water flow and the vast majority of it is encased in concrete anyway. He said he would use which ever pipe I wanted. I was just wondering what the thoughts were of the folks in this forum. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I would guess the PB is speaking in general terms about better flow meaning rigid PVC requires elbows (if you don't heat and bend which most PB's won't) versus flex you just curve instead of using 90's. Every 90 degree bend restricts flow...going back to James's point of if sized correctly there will be no problem. I can't speak on flexible pipe being susceptible to termites or the overall longevity of it since flex is used almost exclusively in above ground hot tubs, think the $4k+ ones you can buy at the store. What I can tell you for sure is that flexible PVC is at least twice if not 4 times the cost of rigid and I'm sure the PB will pass that cost along.

I would go with rigid pvc and fittings. Two 45's instead of 90's to reduce flow restriction (or the long sweep 90's) if that is a concern.

It's common practice but I never liked baking and bending rigid pvc, seems like it should weaken it some.

We have been bending pipe for installs for twenty years now I guess. I would put a bent pipe in before I would use a fitting. Sch 40 is very resilient and heating it is a great way to eliminate glue joints

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Funny enough that is exactly the web article that started me down this path. The other thing the builder mentioned that I didn't add earlier is the freeze and thaw issue. In reading some of the posts and an another older thread in this forum it seems this may in part be a north/south thing that changes the pros/cons ratio. Since we are in Maryland we never know if we are quite north or south!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.