Question about my new pump

Mar 28, 2017
SC
I replaced the pump that came with my pool this year with a 1 HP pump. It's been making bubbles where the water goes back into the pool. I thought it was just because that pump is much stronger than the old one, but my son thinks it's something else. Is there something wrong and if so can someone tell me how to fix it?

Thanks! Nancy 🌺

Bubbles.JPG

We see bubbles for one of two reason - when the salt cell is operating and pushing chlorine gas back to the pool (champagne sized bubbles), or if there is a suction side air leak. Since this is a new pump, did you ensure to apply a good amount of silicone lube to the O-ring under the clear lid?

We see bubbles for one of two reason - when the salt cell is operating and pushing chlorine gas back to the pool (champagne sized bubbles), or if there is a suction side air leak. Since this is a new pump, did you ensure to apply a good amount of silicone lube to the O-ring under the clear lid?
I put something called Magic Lube on the lid with the basket in it. Was that okay?

Reactions: Newdude
One of the *incredibly few* things at the pool store that lives up to its label. (y)

I put something called Magic Lube on the lid with the basket in it. Was that okay?
Perfect. That's what I use as well. To give us other ideas to look for, how about you the following pics:
- Pics of your equipment pad so we can see everything on the pad
- Pics of the pool so we can see if you have a skimmer or suction ports, etc

Perfect. That's what I use as well. To give us other ideas to look for, how about you the following pics:
- Pics of your equipment pad so we can see everything on the pad
- Pics of the pool so we can see if you have a skimmer or suction ports, etc
I took some pics, hope this is what you need, if not, I can take more. The SWG hasn't been on this year, I was doing a SLAM, but it is hooked up. I know it looks kind of rough, but it was hard to adapt the hoses with the new equipment.

Equipment.JPGEquipment2.JPGskimmer.JPG

Looking at the pics, I suspect any air getting sucked IN has to be anywhere from the entrance to the pump back to the pool suction port. Next time you shut off the pump, watch for any spurts of water on the hose or any of those fittings. Listen for any hissing sounds. Sometimes an air leak is so small you don't see a water leak when the pump is off, but it can still pull-in air causing those bubbles. There could be a tiny spot around any of those band clamps or maybe even that ball valve with the black handle. You might try running water over those areas at the same time you see the bubbles at the return jet. If running water over a fitting or clamp reduces the air bubbles, you found your culprit.

Looking at the pics, I suspect any air getting sucked IN has to be anywhere from the entrance to the pump back to the pool suction port. Next time you shut off the pump, watch for any spurts of water on the hose or any of those fittings. Listen for any hissing sounds. Sometimes an air leak is so small you don't see a water leak when the pump is off, but it can still pull-in air causing those bubbles. There could be a tiny spot around any of those band clamps or maybe even that ball valve with the black handle. You might try running water over those areas at the same time you see the bubbles at the return jet. If running water over a fitting or clamp reduces the air bubbles, you found your culprit.
We did what you suggested and found the leak. My son fixed it and now no bubbles!

Thank you so much! Nancy 🌺

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We did what you suggested and found the leak. My son fixed it and now no bubbles!
full

• Haha
Reactions: southernblessings
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.