question about lowering TA and muriatic acid.

Jan 4, 2017
matawan NJ
hi again,

Ok, so my TA has been about 120-130 for a while and now that i have my other levels fairly well off i am trying to lower TA. I put about 75 oz of MA to get my PH to 7.2. Tasted about an hour and a half after putting in the acid and PH is right at 7.2. I checked TA and it's still at 110. Now, do i keep the ph at 7.2 until my TA gets to 80(ish) or do i start aerating now? How long do you think i need to aerate to get back up to 7.5 range? (i'm going to leave pump on all night since its getting late here, or should i shut it down and start again in the AM when i have time?)

Thanks guys

PS i added MA by pouring it slowly over a return. I didn't use the funnel method like I've seen on some videos. I was afraid to damage the liner or something else by putting it in one spot.

Yea, ignore those videos - liner damage can occur and the "slug" method they swear works really doesn't.....

It's a series of repetitions, you have completed the first half of the first series. You added the acid and have seen the TA drop 10 points. Now, you need to raise the pH without effecting the TA - that's areation. You can turn on a water fall, sheer decent, fountain or get a group of 10 year olds to splash. Any areation works. As you aerate watch the pH, when it gets back to 7.8 or so hit the pool with acid again. That will drive the pH and TA down again.

Invite the 10 year olds back over and repeate the process.

This is the procedure to "force" the TA down, but it takes time and acid. The other way is to just keep adjusting pH down as it rises. I've never forced my TA down. Just through normal acid additions it has slowly dropped.

But as Richard says, if you don't have a problem - ignore TA.

thanks rich. My PH keeps sliding up to 7.8-8.0 ish so i thought lowering TA might keep it steady better.
It will always do that. All you're doing is accelerating the pH rise by aeration. Same amount of acid will get used. If you can go 2-3 days between doses, that should be good enough. In time you'll hopefully hit the sweet spot where it will hold a week or more.

def learned a lot from the 4 responses in this thread, THANK YOU!

Nobody told me a pool would be this much work!! lol ;)
I hope we are dealing with your testing with one of the recommended test kits....... If so, can you edit your signature to include what kit you use.

Once you pool is dialed it the work load goes way down. You have a SWG which takes care of most of the work. A little acid here and there and life will be wonderful.

A pool float and an adult beverage are in order.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.